Everything related to Maxwell Cloud
By sean obrien
NL,

I am interested in this service. Can you provide more details, specifically the following:

1) Machine specifications (ie, 96 cores of which processor?)
2) How many cores are assigned to each render? For example, are we guaranteed 96 cores dedicated to each render?
3) Can the user choose either a specific SL or time limit per job?

Any additional information that helps me understand the service would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
By luis.hijarrubia
sean obrien wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 pm
NL,

I am interested in this service. Can you provide more details, specifically the following:

1) Machine specifications (ie, 96 cores of which processor?)
2) How many cores are assigned to each render? For example, are we guaranteed 96 cores dedicated to each render?
3) Can the user choose either a specific SL or time limit per job?

Any additional information that helps me understand the service would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
I'm sure the Cloud dev can give you technical specs tomorrow. But the defining point of the service to me it's that the cloud machine is dedicated. You don't have to wait with a priority queue or share machine. The 96 cores are for you.
And AFAIK you can choose both time limit and SL limit on maxwell scene.
By sean obrien
Thank you Luis and Manuel for the information.

Please clarify how time is charged to the account. In the support documentation it states that time is charged per hour. Does this mean if the user stops a rendering after 15 minutes they are charged a minimum of one hour? Or anything over sixty minutes would be charged two hours? etc.

Clarification appreciated. Thanks
By luis.hijarrubia
I think they are trying to say that you buy packs of complete hours, you can't buy 2.5 hours. But they are not used on per hour basis. I will ask to clarify this on documentation a little further.
By Manuel Godino
sean obrien wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Thank you Luis and Manuel for the information.

Please clarify how time is charged to the account. In the support documentation it states that time is charged per hour. Does this mean if the user stops a rendering after 15 minutes they are charged a minimum of one hour? Or anything over sixty minutes would be charged two hours? etc.

Clarification appreciated. Thanks
Cloud time section is a bit confusing and needs to be updated.

• Cloud time can be purchased in 10-hour packages
  • Cloud time is charged per second.

So, if you stop a render after 15 minutes we charge you only 15 minutes.
By ypt
I just did, I used the cloud and wasn't very succesfull at it:

I was using an old scene that I opened in Studio set to MR stopped it, changed some settings and sent it to the cloud. I noticed that while I did change the SL and time settings the cloud used the original settings of the scene and not the ones I specified in MR before connecting to the cloud. Everything went pretty smooth until I tried to download the files and got a server error... I only received 0kb files and in my TEMP fold was also only a 0kb file.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Maxwell Render 5.0.0.14

scene specification:
Number of Objects: 288
Number of Triangles: 304028
Number of Materials: 63
Number of light sources: 3 + sun

render specification:
700x600dpi, SL12+denoiser (at end), multilight( int-comp)
time consumed: 7min30sec
By Forum Moderator
Hello ypt,

We have just checked what has happened in your case and learned the # character you had set at the beginning of the output files broke the request message for the download. We have refunded the time consumed; could you launch the job again removing the # character? We'll try to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Regarding the SL and time changed, we have tried here and everything seems to work as expected. Usually in Studio (I'm not sure from where are you launching the scene to the network), if you have made any change, it asks if you want to save the scene or not or cancel the operation; if you choose yes, the scene is saved and sent to the cloud with the latest changes, but if you choose not to save the scene, it will send it to the cloud with the settings of the last file saved. Could this be the case?

Kind regards,
Fernando
By ypt
Hi Fernando,

Yes, the # did it. Cloud job without the # was a succes!
And I learned something new: I set a time limit of 10m0s and consumed 21m54s.
My guess is that the time limit set is just for the first pass and doesn't take in account the second pass for the denoiser... am I right?
By ypt
Okay thanks for clearing that up.
And I must say that I'm impressed with the speed of my second test.
I'm just a casual user and my workstation estimated the job to last around 5h and the cloud did it in 22min.

So pretty happy about that.

iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB
By Eduardo G
If we understand correctly the service currently doesn't support the deployment of a single image to several render nodes. So a single image is rendered in a single node. Do you have plans to implement the simultaneous usage of several render nodes to render a single image (join process)?
By Forum Moderator
Yes, currently we wanted to let the cloud service settle down to make it rock solid with the essential options. The cooperative routine adds an extra layer of complexity so we decided to leave it out for the moment.

Cheers!
Fernando
By Forum Moderator
Nevertheless, it should be easy to launch the same render to different machines and then use Maxwell locally to merge all the mxi files. You can also make several copies of the same mxs file (usually a number is added to the end of the name) and launch all of them in the same job and also merge them manually in Maxwell.

Cheers!
Fernando
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]