Hi

My C4D still bothers me with this message. I think i have everything set correctly. Variable is OK. I have mxs scenes in directory. But plugin does not see them. What should I try to do more to make it work? Please help. With this "bug" is working with new plugin almost impossible. I tried to install plugin with R10.5 but there is the same problem.

Thanks
By JDHill
One of my testers was recently seeing something similar to this. In that case, he had a MAXWELL_ROOT in both the user and system variables, and they were pointing to different places.

Cheers...
By spekoun
Please can you describe me how can I find system and user variables? I have one admin account on my PC no another user. (Vista 64) I know only one way how to check and set variables.
By JDHill
This screenshot is from XP, but when you get to the environment variables window on Vista, it should look similar:

ImageImage

So what I'm saying is, make sure that if there is a MAXWELL_ROOT in both the top and bottom list, that they both point to the correct location.
By macray
How do we change the preview scene? Is there any possibility to do it from cinema?

(And also: is the preview from the mxm-gallery still availeable somewhere for download? Why is it not the default preview and incorperated in maxwell?)
By JDHill
How do we change the preview scene? Is there any possibility to do it from cinema?
Yes, each material stores its own scene, so you can use different ones with different materials. This is controlled using the main material page (see page 33 of the plugin manual), which you get to by clicking the top node in the material tree.

The next version will have a user-preference for determining which preview scene to use as the default. I would assume you can download Thomas An's scene (I guess that's what you're referring to) from the mxmgallery website. I guess it's not the default because (a) everybody thinks differently about what should be the default, and (b) that scene takes longer to render than the other ones.
By macray
thanks.

I wanted to know about the default preview. maybe that was not clear. I found the button to change the preview in your new plugin the first time I treid it. Really good work you did.

(I just to use it more often. :) )
By spekoun
Hi

Thank you for helping me. But still no success. User variable was missing, so I added it manually. Then I restarted PC but error message still bothers me. What next should I try? Reinstall Maxwell or C4D?

By JDHill
No, we just have to figure out why it is not finding the folder. So please confirm that the following folder exists on your machine:

C:\Program Files\Next Limit\Maxwell\preview\

If you are getting the error you reported, it means pretty much everything is okay - the plugin found everything except for the preview folder. A screenshot of Explorer navigated to this folder might be helpful too.
By spekoun
I reinstalled C4D, but it did not help. Still same message. Here is screenshot with preview folder:
By JDHill
That looks fine, and reinstalling Cinema should not have any affect. Could you post a shot of the files in the preview directory? Also, if there is a 'Compatibility Files' button shown in Expolorer when you are inside the preview directory, could you post a shot of what files are shown when you click it?
By spekoun
Here is my preview folder:
Also, if there is a 'Compatibility Files' button shown in Expolorer
I do not know such a button, sorry. Can you explain it more?

Thanks for your effort.
By JDHill
'Compatibility Files' ... Can you explain it more?
Don't worry about it, it's just a button that would show up in the Explorer menu bar if Windows had also created a 'virtualized' version of that directory...which is a long story that has to do with obscure Vista security stuff. Anyway, it's not there, so we can forget about that.

So I'm running out of ideas by now; while I try to come up with some new ones, try this: make a copy of the stage2_tom.mxs file, then rename the copy as stage1_tom.mxs.
By spekoun
No success. I tried to reinstall Maxwell. Maxwell instalation did not set user variable, it sets only the system one. Is it correct? It is a shame, that i can not use your new plugin. I hope you wil find solution.

Thanks again.
By JDHill
Did you try installing Maxwell to a different location? On Vista, I don't think it's a bad idea to install Maxwell somewhere in your Documents folder, or somewhere similar that isn't protected by the OS so much (as opposed to Program Files). I say that because the Maxwell install folder contains so many files that are supposed to be used as read-write, and this is a bit of a no-no for the Program Files folder when you are running Vista. It's not that I have a solid reason why this should help with this preview folder issue, but it may.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]