All posts related to V2
By bograt
Hi all,

I am playing around with a porcelain material at the moment but have discovered that using additive layers to simulate a coating causes problems.
where possible I avoid using the 'coating' option because of the lack of control but at the moment it seems like the only option to achieve realistic results, does anyone have an alternative solution for coated sss materials?
I have noticed users making glossy materials by weighting 2 bdsfs of varying roughness but (correct me if I am wrong) this doesn't seem like an accurate or suitable solution for a coated material?
Best

Jules
By jojojoj
All the plastic materials are done the way you describe with 2 BSDFs and really look nice. Weren't the coatings made for the purpose of refractive i.e. color effect of light transiting them?
By bograt
jojojoj wrote:All the plastic materials are done the way you describe with 2 BSDFs and really look nice. Weren't the coatings made for the purpose of refractive i.e. color effect of light transiting them?
Yes, it is primarily used to create interference wave effects but when coatings is around or above 5000nm it works as an accurate clear coating.
The 2 BDSF solution does often look good but I think it describes a homogeneous material rather than a coated or glazed one.
Tbh the coating actually does a very good job, only thing is I have to use a micro bump map rather than roughness parameters...
By itsallgoode9
I'm curious to see a sample of the difference between a bdsf approach compared to a coating approach. I've always thought the coating option looked fake due to the perfect glossiness of it...that could be due to my lack of understanding of how to use it properly though. Please post a comparison if you have one!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]