All posts related to V2
Is there a way to enable visual IES data in 3D space, similar to Maxwell Studio? (but hopefully directly related to the geometry applied)?
(we use both Rhino and Max plulg-in)

If not, is this planned?

Currently, either you have to go to studio to see the orientation of the IES map or you have to render and then go back and adjust based on the direction of the lighting.

Thanks in advance
Paxton
In the case of Rhino - not in the near term. As you may have noticed, Rhino objects exist in world x/y/z space, so there is not a meaningful local coordinate system that you can use to control the direction of IES emitters. It will require new object properties to be added (similar to the real scale texture controls), then after that, possibly a viewport representation can be implemented. I don't currently have an ETA on this.
JDHill wrote:I don't currently have an ETA on this.
What does ETA mean? I had a hard time to decide... :D

ETA Estimated Time of Arrival (also seen as ETOA)
ETA Employment and Training Administration (US Department of Labor)
ETA Euskadi Ta Askatasuna (Basque Homeland and Liberty; terrorist group in Spain)
ETA Electronic Travel Authority
ETA Edited to Add
ETA Environmental Transport Association (UK)
ETA Electronics Technicians Association (Greencastle, IN)
ETA Electronic Transactions Association
ETA European Technical Approval
ETA English Teachers Association
ETA Expected Time of Arrival
ETA Electronic Tax Administration
ETA Elvis Tribute Artist
ETA Electronic Transfer Account
ETA Event Tree Analysis
ETA Evangelical Training Association
ETA Eu Te Amo (Portuguese: I Love You)
ETA European Thyroid Association
ETA Effective Tax Administration
ETA Egyptian Tourist Authority
ETA Electronic Travel Aid
ETA Electronic Transportation Acquisition
ETA Entertainment Technology Alliance
ETA Embroidery Trade Association
ETA Executive Travel Associates
ETA Extension Travel Adjustment (Marzocchi bicycle forks)
ETA Energy Tax Act
ETA Estimated Transmitting Ability (cow breeding)
ETA Elektrotechnische Apparate GmbH (Nuremburg, Germany)
ETA European Tugowners' Association
ETA Exact Time of Arrival
ETA Eesti Teadeteagentuur (Estonian News Agency)
ETA Embedded Transport Acceleration (Intel)
ETA Experimental Test Accelerator
ETA Experience the Adventure
ETA Energy Technology Assessment
ETA Extraterrestrial Activity
ETA Elgin Teachers Association
ETA Event Tracking Agent
EtA Eternal Allegiance (fan site)
ETA External Tank Attachment
ETA Extraterrestrial Artifact
ETA Engineering Technologies Associates
ETA Emergency Tire Assistance
ETA Engineering Technologies Academy
ETA Engineering Technical Assistant
ETA Eelam Tamil Association (Sydney, Australia)
ETA Emergency Towing Arrangement (requirement at forward & aft ends of oil tanker)
ETA Electronic Test Automation
ETA Etnoteam Adriatica
ETA Estimated Time Available
ETA E-Sektionens Teletekniska Avdelning
ETA Enterprise Transaction Archive
ETA Electronic Target Acquisition (also sometimes abbreviated as E/TA)
ETA Emergency Transport Attendant
ETA Engineering Test Article
ETA Eastern Training Area
ETA Ellenville Teachers Association
ETA Erosion Transport Accumulation
ETA Estimated Time for Accomplishment
ETA Engineering Task Assignment
ETA Exception Time Accounting
ETA Electro-Thermal Atomizer
ETA Evan Terry Associates, PC (Birmingham, AL)
ETA Earthville Travel Adventures
ETA European Tropospheric-Scatter Army (communications system)
ETA External Tank Attack
ETA Electronics Test Area
ETA EOOW Training Assistant
ETA Enterprise Transaction Analysis
ETA Estimated Time Allocation (project management)
ETA Extra Terrestrial Alien
shooting in the dark i think a workaround might be possible..

asfaik ies files describe light by initial intensity, direction(s) and falloff... what we see when we open an .ies in a basic viewer or look at the diagramm in studio is a light distribution diagramm, created from the numeric/ascii data in the file.

if one would filter and load the right values from that file into rhino via grasshoper, such a distribution diagramm could be generated in 3d with splines or other geometry , marking the zones of intensity...
Yes, you may be able to do that for display purposes, but the direction of the lights depends on the transformation of the object the emitter material is applied to, and that's always going to be x/y/z=0.0 in Rhino (not strictly true with regards to block instances, but that doesn't help us much here). So, you could see what was going to happen, but you still wouldn't be able to control it.
So, you could see what was going to happen, but you still wouldn't be able to control it.
is this a matter of how big the sphere is we apply the .ies to, and how that sphere is aligned in 3d space?

can a sphere be aligned anyway? :D
is this a matter of how big the sphere is we apply the .ies to, and how that sphere is aligned in 3d space?
Yes, you control IES orientation by rotating the sphere, but that only works if the modeling app actually has a local coordinate system for the sphere.
can a sphere be aligned anyway?
Not in Rhino - you can easily see the problem demonstrated in the gumball plugin/feature - it will allow you to rotate the sphere, and it will feel like it has a LCS, but it doesn't- deselect the sphere and then select it again; the gumball starts out again positioned orthogonal to world x/y/z. The plugin uses a hack to get around this and implement truly persistent object-local real scale texture orientation.
JDHill wrote:
Not in Rhino - you can easily see the problem demonstrated in the gumball plugin/feature - it will allow you to rotate the sphere, and it will feel like it has a LCS, but it doesn't- deselect the sphere and then select it again; the gumball starts out again positioned orthogonal to world x/y/z. The plugin uses a hack to get around this and implement truly persistent object-local real scale texture orientation.

i only realized now that i tried things out, that .ies can't be aligned at all within rhino.... :?

thinking about the nurbs sphere in rhino:

it has two polar coordinates, which could be extracted to form a vector to get the current alignment in 3d space.

:?:
.ies can't be aligned at all within rhino....
Try this:

1. make two spotlights
2. make one IES emitter mat
3. assign it to the spotlights
4. rotate the spotlights differently

That should work, since the spotlight geometry is exported using a transformation.

[edit: not really though, since the shade cone will still be exported...hang on, I'll do some more tests.]
JDHill wrote:Forget that, there are multiple reasons why it doesn't work. Something will have to be designed from scratch to make this (IES directionality) work in Rhino.

from my limited pov...maybe it would make sense to use a block like object that could contain the ies sphere, a graphical representation of direction (like rhino "arrowhead", scales with zoom too) and eventually the light fixture itself, if needed in the scene?
Yes, but as you see, the ratio of time-investment vs. payoff is not great - directionality of IES lights must be one of the smallest and most obscure corners of the plugin. Nevertheless, I will come up with something that makes sense for this.

Hello! We have just released a new version of the[…]

Hello Achim, Re-reading what I wrote, I think pa[…]

Well, they tell me it's a slow issue because it in[…]

Change Grass materials

Nope :wink: