By Josephus Holt
JD, I'm wanting to follow up on your suggestion to turn off certain objects for views where those objects are out of the camera view. I'm trying to find some way in c4d to be able to quickly for any given camera view with one set selection to toggle all the objects on/off as appropriate to that view. Got some help from c4dCafe with this where Alan suggested using layer sets. This could work for me but I find that as soon as I assign an object to a c4d layer that upon export to Maxwell that object disappears. I can not find anyplace in the Maxwell Scene Object for settings that relate to c4d layers.
By JDHill
I find that as soon as I assign an object to a c4d layer that upon export to Maxwell that object disappears.
This should only happen if that layer's 'R' icon is disabled in the Layer Browser; otherwise, it should render. Testing, it works fine here, so if you have any more details, that would be great.
By Josephus Holt
[quote="JDHillThis should only happen if that layer's 'R' icon is disabled in the Layer Browser; otherwise, it should render. Testing, it works fine here, so if you have any more details, that would be great.[/quote]

I emailed you the file to your gmail. I have two objects assigned to a layer with the R enabled but does not export to MW. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
By JDHill
I was going to say you were crazy, because it works fine here, but then I remembered you're on R10.5...tried it there and you're right, they disappear. I'll have to do some digging to see what's different between those two versions.
By Josephus Holt
JDHill wrote:I was going to say you were crazy....
...that may happen yet, JD, if I keep doing this stuff long enough :shock: Frankly without your help I would go crazy.

I'll look into the cost of upgrading to v11...there's really no features in v11 that I need, so really hate to pay $$ especially considering how things are financially.

By the way, I may have already mentioned this, but after trying to render this large scene out of Rhino v5 as well as export (out of Rhino) parts of the scene and import into MW Studio and composite and render there (which duly crashed), I have decided (for now anyways) to keep c4d in the workflow as it really works well for me for compositing the scene and rendering to Maxwell, especially since we've got a temp workaround for the x64 crashing bug...the scene file has exceeded the x32 size limit.
By JDHill
Well, as far as it looks, I'm not actually able to tell on R10.5 whether a layer is on or off unless I build a separate plugin just for that version. So, next update, what will most likely happen is that layers will be an only-supported-on-R11 thing, with a fallback to layer-agnostic behavior while running on pre-R11 Cinema versions (that's how it's handled for pre-R10 right now). I don't personally think I'd upgrade just to get that working, but it all depends on your needs I guess.
By Josephus Holt
...yeah, that's the $395 question right now...I'll see if I can work around it, but I suspect as time goes on and I push the limit (the next limit???), that I'll run into these kinds of issues more and more w/my 10.5 version.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]