ok i've been trying for 3 hours now to get an animation of a spinning cube to render out all frames. The first frame renders then the second fails because the cube somehow loses its material - i know this because if i open up the second frame in studio the cube doesnt have a material applied to it.

I've read posts from becco etc stating that this plugin has trouble reading materials that have been created in its editor but i've also tried standard 1.5 matareials. Any ideas on why this doesnt work? The scene is here (it'll take 5 seconds to download). Any help much appreciated... maybe its my fault but i'm starting to lose faith in Maxwell slightly, especially for production work:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jbwtpj
By Rochr
I rarely use mxm´s, but whenever i´ve had this issue with the new plugin, one of the working solutions was to re-save the material, place it in the scene file-folder and use that one for the objects.
It can sometimes also solve some still remaining path issues with mxm materials.
By w i l l
I don't understand - how can you not use mxm's? As far as i can see there isnt a way of applying a Maxwell material tag to a Cinema material anymore.
By w i l l
Rochr wrote:one of the working solutions was to re-save the material, place it in the scene file-folder and use that one for the objects.
It can sometimes also solve some still remaining path issues with mxm materials.
Plus the materials that i created for the scene (using the material editor in Cinema) are in the same folder as the scene.
By Rochr
w i l l wrote:Plus the materials that i created for the scene (using the material editor in Cinema) are in the same folder as the scene.
I think i misunderstood here. I thought you´ve made the materials in Maxwells mat editor.

Ok, another possibility could be if you´re using deformer or uneditable objects, or objects in a group, and for some reason one of those child objects don´t recieve the material applied to the group. I´ve had the same error messages with these as well. Not always, but it happens.
w i l l wrote:I don't understand - how can you not use mxm's? As far as i can see there isnt a way of applying a Maxwell material tag to a Cinema material anymore.

I use C4D materials mainly. I only rarely use MXM´s, since most of the issues i´ve had so far seem to be MXM related.
By w i l l
Ok but this scene is literally a camera moving around a cube (which is sat on a plane) - its just a test scene. There are 2 materials - one for cube and one for plane. No deformers etc.

Thanks for your help.
By nachob
It is a bug, and it's being fixed for the next plug-in release.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

nachob
By w i l l
So does this bug occur for everyone? If it does that surely means that no one is using the Maxwell plugin for animation, right? As this makes it completely unusable.
By w i l l
nachob wrote:It is a bug, and it's being fixed for the next plug-in release.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

nachob
Why not just release a patch instead of waiting for the next release? Surely you can't ingore a bug that stops animation with Maxwell until the next release.
By w i l l
Roll on a working 1.6 plugin - i've just started using 1.5 (thanks to Becco) and i'm hooked on animation.
By macray
any news when this will be fixed? I gave it a try today and discovered this problem for myself... :(
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]