By Mihnea Balta
The plug-in exposes the following layout commands (names given as they appear in the Alt+F10 menu editor):

MaxwellExport: exports the scene to a MXS file (or files, if animation is enabled)

MaxwellRender: exports the scene and starts MXCL

MaxwellProperties: shows a Maxwell-specific property page for the selected object. Works for cameras and meshes.

MaxwellRenderOptions: global render options (SL, time limit, environment etc.)

MaxwellPluginOptions: plug-in settings.

Did you add a button for MaxwellRender and nothing happens when you press it?
By mgroeteke
maybe an additional tip: at least on mac, after you installed a new maxwell release, you need to run MXCL once (possibly by loading an MXS into it) to get it 'registered' by the system. then restart LW and the 'MaxwellRender' button should work...

markus
By giacob
Mihnea Balta wrote:The plug-in exposes the following layout commands (names given as they appear in the Alt+F10 menu editor):

MaxwellExport: exports the scene to a MXS file (or files, if animation is enabled)

MaxwellRender: exports the scene and starts MXCL

MaxwellProperties: shows a Maxwell-specific property page for the selected object. Works for cameras and meshes.

MaxwellRenderOptions: global render options (SL, time limit, environment etc.)

MaxwellPluginOptions: plug-in settings.

Did you add a button for MaxwellRender and nothing happens when you press it?
i press maxwell render but mxcl doesnt start... is that because a mesh contain invalid poligon as the wondows says?
how can i solve ?
By Mihnea Balta
Yes, if it finds invalid polygons it stops. There can be several causes. You could try to triangulate the mesh in Modeler to see if it fixes the error.

If you can share the scene I can tell you exactly what's wrong (and fix the plug-in if it's a bug).
By WillMartin
Hello Mihnea,

Me again with another question about the plug-in. :) In 1.1 you could "Create MXM from (LW) surface." In 1.5, while I know its currently embedded style and not referenced, I'm finding in my looking around that opening the MaxwellMaterial shader is grabbing basically nothing from the LW surface settings, nor am I seeing a 1.5 equivalent of the "CreateMXM..." button like was in 1.1. Is this the way the plug-in is currently or is it just my specific set-up still missing something from my rocky plug-in install?

While in 1.1 one still had to tweak many things after doing the "grab", I found it a nice time saver the way it pulled/copied many of the parameters for planar maps and such from LW's native surface params, one big thing being the results of using "automatic sizing" for texture maps in the LW surface. Currently with what I have, I can only get that info into the MW map settings by copying and pasting values one-at-a-time over from the LW map window, which is doable, but... If there's another way, let me know. :)

Thanks again for being here to take questions, and I hope the answer to this isn't something I should have figured out easily myself. :)
By Mihnea Balta
There's no "grab" functionality in the current plug-in, but I have noted your feature request. We'll add a button in the Maxwell shader UI that copies the maps.

Automatic sizing is also not supported at the moment, but it will be.

If you don't add a Maxwell shader to a surface, the plug-in exports it as a two-layer material (a diffuse layer and a shiny layer). Here is how the native surface attributes are used:
  • Color: set as the color of the diffuse layer
  • Diffuse: set as the weight of the diffuse layer
  • Reflectivity: set as both the weight and color of the shiny layer
  • Glossiness: inverted and set as the roughness of the shiny layer
  • Transparency: connected as transmittance on both layers
  • Bump: connected as bump map on both layers
Maybe this helps until we add the copy button.
By WillMartin
Thanks for the reply and the note on the request. :)
We'll add a button in the Maxwell shader UI that copies the maps.
Just to be clear, the important part is that all the LW map settings that come with the map need to be turned into a proper MW scene projector (you're probably meaning that already, but just wanting to make sure I'd said it well enough).
Not that I'm the greatest at this stuff, but I was surprised that even with all my copying-pasting over of almost every parameter value from the LW map window to the MWMat shader map window, I still couldn't achieve the M~M shader reproducing of a simple planar mapping that was like the orginal LW surface. I had to go into studio and tweak it there to get it to look right in a Maxwell render...which leads me to...

How about a "permission to export" button as mentioned in this thread:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23029
...if it would even be of any help to us. As explained, when I was having trouble with my map converting I took the object into Studio and tweaked its UVW projector there with the "UV Sets" gui. But after I was done I wasn't allowed to export the object (couldn't bring it back to LW with its M~Mat map parameters now fixed)...although if it turns out that LW wouldn't have been able to read such an exported-from-studio object anyway then I guess there's not much point in adding this button. You surely know how well that would work better than I. Just a suggestion that entered my head from my experimenting--and coming across the obstacle--this evening. :)

Thank you for your responses, for listening, and for your work on the LW plug-in! :)

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]