By mtripoli
For a "fast test" of MR lights, you can do this:

1.) Select an "area light": I used this because it's the most physically correct light in LW, plus it looks like a plane.

2.) Reset its "Move" to 0,0,0. Reset "Rotate" to 0 as well.

3.) Load your emitter object. I used a plane. Make sure that when you created its center is at 0,0,0.

4.) Parent the plane to the area light. Size the emitter to the same size as the LW area light. I do this for consistancy.

5.) Move the LW area light to wherever you want it. The MR emitter goes with it. Resize the area light, the plane changes as well.

6.) Make sure you have render shadows on and do a test. The LW render goes very fast (relatively speaking). You can see what the area light is doing.

7.) Render using MR. Though the camera settings are different (as are the applied materials, etc.) you can see how the lights are working. If you keep all the LW materials set to a simple diffuse, it renders fast. Of course these have no impact on the MR materials...

Here's the result of (literally) a 5 minute test:

Lightwave 3D

Maxwell:

For me, this is a lot of help...
By lopatam
I use the same method,plus I put the poly luminosity 100% so I can test in Fprime where the reflections are . I usually turn off the lights so I've really clear where the reflections are. So fast.
I also put diffuse 0 and reflection 100 on every surface that needs reflections.
By mtripoli
Cool... thanks for the tips!
By iandavis
hehe. A LW user without fPrime is like a gazelle with three legs. Fast but falls over a lot.

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]