Add here your best high-quality Maxwell images.
By tom
I think the distribution of scratches are way too even. For realism, you need to break this somehow. Also they should be more subtle...
By Nasok
Thanks guys for your feedback.

I agree tom, I was about to write about my thoughts about scratches and overall material look and feel, but decided to wait for someones feedback.
You're right. To much scratches, and roughness. Those parts are probably often touched by hands and I think I just stuck in the middle of the style .. due to my experiments .. I mean if it is just metal the scratches should be more subtle and less obvious, probably only on specular .. and if it is old or after battle material it should be more deformed and should have more dirt and deep places of impact rather than simple scratches .. that's what I'm saying .. I was experimenting .. it never meant to be the final thing .. as originally my final concept was set to be plastic :))
But couldn't resist in experiments with different textures and lighting ..

RobMitchell, and what about finished animation ?
By Nasok
You're also right about the scratches and overall "grunginess" .. that's what I'm saying .. I'm kind of in the middle .. of un-used and old (damaged, worn) .. so that's why I guess it doesn't look like something real ..

as I said I was playing around while I had some free time :) and for sure I'm really looking forward for professional critics .. that's why I'm here :) I want to improve, don't want to settle with what I have :)

While we are here I'll post some plastic version of same model .. and maybe some screenshots from Maya, so maybe you guys could suggest me some improvements or workflow tips to enhance the look and make it more believable.

Cheers.
By tom
Now, you should add some translucency to the white one and it will rock. ;) Black one needs a special touch for a convincing look. I'll soon be demonstrating how to do it...
By Nasok
Tok_Tok wrote:Probably not as Tony has robots to get in the suit and get out of it. Also I think in the future were such suits would be possible there will also be advanced anti scratch and dirt coating which making it always look perfect.
Yeah .. but do you know why everyone likes robots so much ? only because they look like us … not only visually but their behavior, manner of communication … the most "successful" robots are those ones who pretend to have a soul :) so for sure they could miss catch the helmet and drop it or accidentally scratch it … or … come on .. I love texturing .. I needed those scratches :)))

tom wrote:Now, you should add some translucency to the white one and it will rock. Black one needs a special touch for a convincing look. I'll soon be demonstrating how to do it...
Great idea about translucency … I'll definitely try it out .. so it could look closer to i-robot style :) but maybe less glossy :) Special touch -sounds interesting - looking forward to learn new technique!

Cheers,
By Tok_Tok
Nasok wrote:Yeah .. but do you know why everyone likes robots so much ? only because they look like us … not only visually but their behavior, manner of communication … the most "successful" robots are those ones who pretend to have a soul :) so for sure they could miss catch the helmet and drop it or accidentally scratch it … or … come on .. I love texturing .. I needed those scratches :)))
You mean like in iRobot? yeah I can get into that. Oke I'm looking forward to the new renders then! And if you really like texturing you should also make a version which is really worn out. Like in the movie after a long battle ;)
By Nasok
yeah. I'll post them as I'll finish my main projects :) actually why not … I'll play with that head a bit after all client will leave for christmas and etc :) usually last week before new year - is fairly relaxed one. So I should have plenty of time for that :)
By RobMitchell
Nasok wrote:RobMitchell, and what about finished animation ?
Sorry, I've only just seen this. Once you get a bit of work together, you're best off making a gallery thread in this forum and post finished stuff - still or animated - in there. Or just create a new topic per project. There's no set rule really. :)

That animation is incredible! Great to see it in motion. The lighting's still brilliant and I love the text and graphics overlay work. Was that made in After Effects? What was the render time for that animation?
By Mihai
Nice progress but if I can add some comments on the animation: There are too many labels, and on top of the model which you hardly see, except towards the end.
The motion is too slow and even, while the sfx suggest something fast, accelerated. And there are too many things going on in the sfx...just my opinion, but if too many sounds are present, it's hard for any of them to stand out.
SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

https://community.sketchucation.com/category/49/wi[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]