Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By iker
...if not, you can always ask for the other 50% to the Portuguese football asociation :P
By KurtS
Great test, Tom!
I know this is not about matching the photo, but It looks to me like the original glass is a little bit thicker than your 3d model, especially the bottom part?
This might explain why none of the renderings matches the refactions showed in the photos in this area?

I think the Maxwell output looks very convincing, but I wonder why the shadows are so much darker/saturated in the photo (especially the photo where the glass is placed on it side)?

tom wrote:Now as this offered as a challenge, less words and more images please.
Good luck!
good point...!
I've made some tests with Microstation/Luxology, but the result is not to convincing - maybe I'll post something later.
By tom
KurtS wrote:It looks to me like the original glass is a little bit thicker than your 3d model, especially the bottom part?
This might explain why none of the renderings matches the refactions showed in the photos in this area?
Exactly. I modeled the thing in minutes without precise measurement. It's a nice frosted glass and the rest are just details...
KurtS wrote:I've made some tests with Microstation/Luxology, but the result is not to convincing - maybe I'll post something later.
Please, don't hesitate to send them. The purpose of this challenge is to demonstrate how beautifully Maxwell deals with light and not every other.
By zdeno
It is my try with old rusty 1.7.1

as always using wizard was a waste of time (low grade glass - even don't use color I took, but set some gray (it's a bug but I don't count on service pack ;) )

so it is the best I get, reflection layer is too strong, but couldn,t get proper speculars.
Noise is unhiddable, but I got used to it ;)

I should set out of focus as Tom set it. Then noise would be not so obvious.

I tried the same with V2 demo but could not achieve good "frosted glass" is it possible to see some .mxm or .mxs Tom ?

and another question to Tom. With glass dragon You set some additional BSDF for rough reflection. Is it common way to do this kind of glass ? I though glass can be done with one BSDF only.
By tom
zdeno wrote:It is my try with old rusty 1.7.1
Thanks but, I've already mentioned attempting this with 1.x is a waste of time as the below link officially announces this improvement for 2.0
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... 97&t=32630
zdeno wrote:I should set out of focus as Tom set it. Then noise would be not so obvious.
This is not true in any way. Sampling noise won't be better by going out of focus. Contrary, out of focus areas may slightly take more time to clear up. I only aimed to match the reference setup as much as I can, so that's all about it.
zdeno wrote:I tried the same with V2 demo but could not achieve good "frosted glass" is it possible to see some .mxm or .mxs Tom ?
Sure! I will share the original scene as soon as possible.
zdeno wrote:and another question to Tom. With glass dragon You set some additional BSDF for rough reflection. Is it common way to do this kind of glass ? I though glass can be done with one BSDF only.
Yes, there are 2 clones of same rough glass BSDF at different roughness levels. Of course, it's also possible to make a rough glass using a single BSDF alone. Multiple BSDF is not strictly essential. But in reality, no surface has a single roughness level. There are multiple levels of roughness appear if you carefully inspect. Furthermore, I had to add fingerprints etc but this is too much for this easy validation.
By zdeno
tom wrote:Thanks but, I've already mentioned attempting this with 1.x is a waste of time
:D Yes You did but I don't give up easy. It was exciting challange to force 1.7.1 to do this. As I said wizard "common" glass was teribble so I play a little with bump and anizotropy on roughness 0 (zero) to achieve this picture.
I think "my" glass is not so bad, but I am not so "pro" to tell where is mistake in light propagation. I just like it "as it is".
tom wrote:Sampling noise won't be better by going out of focus. Contrary, out of focus areas may slightly take more time to clear up.
NOO WAY !! I have to examine that, because I don't know why it works like that.
tom wrote:Sure! I will share the original scene as soon as possible.
GREAT! thanks in advance!
tom wrote:Yes, there are 2 clones of same rough glass BSDF at different roughness levels.
Just got it. I misunderstood before. I thought second layer is just for reflection (opaque in additive mode). It is perfect clear now! Thanks again.

I think You have to write manual Tom, with at least 50 pages of how to do materials. Then gallery on this forum would be 20 times bigger than now.
By tom
zdeno wrote:Yes You did but I don't give up easy. It was exciting challange to force 1.7.1 to do this. I think "my" glass is not so bad, but I am not so "pro" to tell where is mistake in light propagation. I just like it "as it is".
Not bad at all and your efforts are highly appreciated. We just know 2.x has a superior improvement in this area and no alchemy work would succeed with 1.x.
zdeno wrote:NOO WAY !! I have to examine that, because I don't know why it works like that.
Please, try it and you will see. Honestly, I could get it clear earlier if it was in focus.
zdeno wrote:I think You have to write manual Tom, with at least 50 pages of how to do materials. Then gallery on this forum would be 20 times bigger than now.
Thanks. As you may agree it's not possible to cover all the essentials of building materials in a user manual. That should be covered in tutorials or an extended manual. Hopefully one day, why not. Our premium target is to get rid of limitations and bugs and make it as correct as possible. Everything else comes next. Also, I know you're one of the most experienced users around here in engineering materials. Never thought you deserve less. ;)
Never No More Studio Lighting

https://i.imgur.com/fYPjjfp.jpeg I swear, I'll […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

https://community.sketchucation.com/category/49/wi[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]