All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By macray
Hi Maxwellians,

I just rendered a picture of mine in 2 versions with the RebusFarm offer to test how these looks if rendered on a huge farm..

Program used to create the MXS: Cinema4D with Maxwell Plugin (the latest available)
1 material distributed to everything (given to the parent object) with 99 roughness, no relief, no transmittance...
no glass used, just the window opening

My problem:

There are many vertical lines in the picture that shouldn't be there.
It was rendered using 60 8core machines... can it be these lines come from merging the separate mxm's from the 60 machines?

Did anyone else experience these problems?
Is it something about the material?
Could anyone else please testrender such a scene?

2 Pictures can be found
and
By Maximus3D
I'm no expert at farming but if you look closely at the images you can see a pattern, it's independent of the angle of your objects in the scene. It's more of a layer ontop that has vertical lines of varied thickness and intensity slightly offset from eachother. To me that looks like a merging bug, in other words a Maxwell problem.

/ Max
By brodie_geers
Not sure I can offer any insights into your problem, but just wanted to say that's quite a nice scene :)

Is that a washing machine or some sort of new fangled dishwasher next to the sink?

-Brodie
By macray
I know other people tried the same farm - Maximus what about your handmodel or anyone else - someone experienced the same problems?

Bubbaloo: you found out what the problem is and solved it? I thought it might have something to do with the used material - what material did you use when this problem showed up?
By Maximus3D
In the two tests i ran i got one full image and one partial image, the hand rendering was only partial and the other image sucked so i can't really say based on that if it's working or not. However the one image i did get it had no issues like what can be seen here.

I might setup another test and let the farm run it to see if there are any similar issues.

/ Max
By Bubbaloo
macray wrote:
Bubbaloo: you found out what the problem is and solved it? I thought it might have something to do with the used material - what material did you use when this problem showed up?
No, I didn't find a solution. I think it's in the merging process. But it's just a guess.
By flower
Hi Macray,

I've had exactly this problem using a renderfarm, with an almost identical setup of scene. The really weird thing was that if I rendered the scene on my one machine at home the grain didn't appear. Very strange, and the only conclusion is that it comes from the merging.

My scene was similar with a strong light coming through the window. I was allowed to do some testing to get to the bottom of it. My light plane outside the window was set back (ie away from the window) and quite large (relative to the window, several times larger in area) trying to imitate sunlight. What this caused was a lot of the light coming from the emitter was going to producing the shadow in the image, or put it another way most of the image was in shadow. I believe (and this is only my guess and I have nothing to substantiate it) the grain we see is some sort of diffraction pattern caused by the different seed numbers used to to a distributed render.

My scene was tested by Mihai on a small network and the grain didn't appear but then I think he was only using a few machines so not enough to build up the grain.

My solution was to put the 'outside' light plane in the same plane and at the same size as the window. I know this doesn't give the same sharp sunlight shadows you are amining for, but it does minimize the grain.

Hope that helps.

Bim
By ricardo
I have just seen the same in Ranch. It was a multilight scene, being an HDR environment passing thru no glass windows the problem. If I shut environment off the scene is clean. I wasn't using clay materials.

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]