All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By Maya69
ok

this ideal solution - i think the best way

why use microdispalce and why use instance ?

instance and microdisplacement is very bad all people is agree with you mike

best regard
By mverta
Sorry, I have to disagree with you - microdisplacement and instancing are not "very bad," but are both wonderful and useful tools. They're just not the only tools; there are other ways of getting those effects. I hope you're right that we all agree on that.

_Mike
By Maya69
i am agree -

but for many user plug-in the original software have not support bake microdisplacement

i think just if mr have mirodisplacement is nice

best regard
By w i l l
mverta wrote:I bake my displacements to geometry and convert my instances to geometry and render with Maxwell just fine.

Best regards,

_Mike
Uh? What is baking displacement to geometry?
By deadalvs
baking:

converting the «bumps» of the displacement texture into real geometry. applied to the model, so it is actually displaced afterwards.

baking is the technical word for it ... mostly used before in «baking» lighting on textures, as in games, so they look realistic.
By w i l l
How do you convert the displacement to geometry? What software would I need to do that?
Last edited by w i l l on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deadalvs
hmm, in maya, there's a special displacement shader node that can be applied to the geometry and a conversion command that recalculates the surfaces.

cinema4d has also a displacement feature, found in the material manager. normally seen only at rendertime. but there's a command to bake it, as i remember.

most software should be able to do this! maybe, if not, try blender - it's free.
http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_Do ... ement_Maps
By zoppo
deadalvs wrote:cinema4d has also a displacement feature, found in the material manager. normally seen only at rendertime. but there's a command to bake it, as i remember.
i know how to use displacement in c4d, but i don't know how to bake it to geometry. i only know how to bake to a normal map - and that crashes c4d a lot.

can someone positively say wether it is possible to bake geometry in c4d or not?

and if "yes" - how? :D
By mashium123
zoppo wrote:
deadalvs wrote:cinema4d has also a displacement feature, found in the material manager. normally seen only at rendertime. but there's a command to bake it, as i remember.
i know how to use displacement in c4d, but i don't know how to bake it to geometry. i only know how to bake to a normal map - and that crashes c4d a lot.

can someone positively say wether it is possible to bake geometry in c4d or not?

and if "yes" - how? :D
Hi Zoppo.
A while ago, there was a thread concerning this topic. 'glypticmax' described how to do it with c4d:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... splacement
By spekoun
Maya69 wrote:ok

this ideal solution - i think the best way

why use microdispalce and why use instance ?

instance and microdisplacement is very bad all people is agree with you mike

best regard
I saw instacing and displacement on other forum. It was first time i was very excited with other stuff then Maxwell. Of course Mike, there are other tools, but they have limits. These limits i have reached some time ago. I had exterior scene with trees and roof tiles modelled and i did it but is was painfull to handle scene with 3mil polys and cinemaxwell. Current tools are really not the solution. That is simply true. But i will wait until 1.2 and hope. Without displacement i can live, but instancing is very very important to me. So in my opinion, i will have to use two "render solutions", if MW will not have instancing soon... :cry:
By mverta
spekoun wrote:Current tools are really not the solution. :
...for you, I guess, but let's not speak like it's an absolute. These features would be great in Maxwell; it doesn't mean there aren't users with options who don't miss them at all; like me.

As for using two solutions... As a visual effects guy, I typically render parts of an image with Maxwell, parts with mental ray, do some particle work in Houdini, fluid with RealFlow, then bring layers into After Effects and use a dozen plug-ins all within one shot. The fact that no one engine doesn't handle all these tasks isn't a failure on their part. If one package did all this stuff at the same quality level I guess it would be great, but...

Anyway, we'll just have to see what lies ahead for Maxwell! :)

_Mike
By deadalvs
also, we could post a few pages where cool bark textures/leave textures can be found...
By mashium123
mverta wrote:

Anyway, we'll just have to see what lies ahead for Maxwell! :)

_Mike
Please let this be a hint. :)
By Tim Ellis
w i l l wrote:How do you convert the displacement to geometry? What software would I need to do that?
3DSMax via the Maxwell plug-in, or Blender 2.43. :D

I'm in for this, I've been doing a lot of work with trees recently.

Is MXCL postwork allowed, for contrast tweaking?

Cool idea. :D

Tim.
By deadalvs
yess, allowed !

i'm looking forward to see Yer renderings !!

what about gpu maxwell q project?

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]