By Asmithey
Hello,

It seems when ever I use the absolute units for my displacement value the preview of the displaced texture in the material editor looks like a nuclear blast. It displays as if it is way out of scale when set to more than 1cm. But when I render the image with the displacement it renders fine.
So, why is it that when I use absolute units the preview does not fit in the texture preview window?

If have absolute units unchecked, I get undesirable results as objects get further away from the camera. The level of displacements seems to vary. If I use absolute units the displacement is consistent throughout the image, which is what I want. But the preview is whacked.

Any ideas,
Thanks,

Aaron
By Mihai
It's because the preview scenes are a small scale so a 1cm displacement on the default preview for example will look huge.
By Asmithey
Ok thanks. Just want to make sure I was not doing something abnormal during the process.

Aaron
By Asmithey
Is it possible to have in the future an option to zoom in and out of the textrure preview window for when this kind of thing occurs?
By medmonds
Aaron,
I have the same frustration with the previews, in particular when as it relates to transparent objects and the depth of attenuation. It occurred to me this morning that I should make several preview scenes of my own that have names that include the size of the preview object. For example 12" cube, 24" cube, etc. That way I can pick the preview scene that makes sense for the material I'm testing.

Hope this helps.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Although i’ve been happily rendering away in[…]

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]