Please post here anything else (not relating to Maxwell technical matters)
By misterasset
Hey guys! So, I haven't been active on this forum for... man... the better part of a decade. I quit doing 3D and did Civil Engineering instead. Pays better but not as fun. :P

But, doing a big rendering project for our civil firm and it would help greatly if I could capture the data out of Google Earth for our project. Does anybody know of any CURRENT ways to do this?

It seems there were some solutions a couple years ago but Google seems to have shut all those down.

Or, if y'all know of any other way to get 3D data for a city area including buildings please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
By misterasset
Thanks for the idea but I've already tried that one. Requires an older version of Google Earth (the new versions won't launch if 3DVia is running) and it only works on 32-bit systems. Seriously, thanks though.

Does anybody else have any more current methods?

Thanks,
Chris
By misterasset
Does anybody have any updated ideas/experience with capturing the current 3D Meshes out of Google Earth or another method for getting good 3D Meshes of areas that include buildings/trees etc? I've tried all the methods here and none of them work with Google Earth's new 3D system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
By rusteberg
I was looking for an aerial imaging company to shoot some backplate footage for a project in Texas a few months ago and found that some places offer 2d/3d mapping as part of their range of services (not local). So technically if there was an area you desperately needed as a point cloud type mesh for civil purposes, you could potentially get a drone out to survey the area from various locations and then build the mesh yourself with something like Agisoft photoscan or similar avenue. Come to think of it that would be a much more precise way of integrating cad into a scanned mesh because you could place markers on your site prior to sending the drone up in order to scale the point cloud more accurately.

.... max 7..... nice 8)

I'll not be surprised to find that NL is done by n[…]

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]