Please post here anything else (not relating to Maxwell technical matters)
Hello, Maxwell material experts :)

I'm interested in doing some more Maxwell/real hybrid fashion, more along these lines that I did before with paper, only I'd like to push it into a more futuristic, industrial couture mode. The finished result doesn't have to be practical or wearable. It's more of a visual statement, only.

Can anyone recommend some interesting materials? I'm thinking reflective meshes, rubber flooring, whatever, but I'm particularly interested in compound materials - something embedded in or painted on or wrapped around something else, and not just simple sheets of plain, opaque, single color stuff.

I can invent all kinds of stuff in Maxwell, but I'm interested in locating some real, existing examples of things, partially for reference, and partially because I like at least some of the clothing to actually exist.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

:)
tom wrote:
Well, there are thousands of materials like this. You know... I don't think anybody who worked on some or most of them would freely share.
I'm not looking for maxwell materials. I can make those myself.

I'm looking for suggestions like, "have you looked at soft styrofoam sheets? We used them to pack and ship an item we made, once. Their official name if you want to search for them is ..."

Last edited by jfrancis on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Or perhaps... "I saw a house once where they pressed metal screen onto forms to shape it and use it for walls..."

-----------------------

Basically I am wondering if there are archviz people here who have seen real world materials I've never heard of (because I'm not in archviz) -- that I can use to make the bodice of a dress. Then I'll use maxwell to simulate the other 90% of the dress. I just like the points of body contact to be real.

And I'm not trying to make something practical. If it is wearable at all it would be wearable by Lady gaga on stage, or something. :)
As there's so many funky materials out there and it's hard to advise without knowing the look you're after...
Have you already considered material libraries like Material Connexion?
There's also others too, some even offer a lot of stuff for free. One not neccesarily needs to get a member, Material
Connexion for instance publishes book with collections of new materials, I have a few of them. These books contain
manufacturer informations so that you could get in touch and ask for some samples you could (3d)scan.
Polyxo wrote:As there's so many funky materials out there and it's hard to advise without knowing the look you're after...
Have you already considered material libraries like Material Connexion?
I may not buy a subscription to that library for this project but that is exactly the kind of resource I was hoping to discover the existence of in this thread. Thank you.

As for actual materials, I'm thinking sort of in the latex, rubber, vinyl arena, at least as a departure point. Here's something I found online as a point of reference.

I''m planning to make something more elaborate, and less form-fitting, but somewhat along these lines...
http://blacklickorish.com/about/
link is nsfw
Last edited by jfrancis on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what about gpu maxwell q project?

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]