Please post here anything else (not relating to Maxwell technical matters)
By Mihai
When you change the way you see the world,
you can change the world you see.
Had to read that a few times....confusing statement.

If only 10% of what they show in that promo actually works as presented, it could be a hit. But I have doubts :P
By gianca
It definitely does work more than 10%, it may actually be closer to 90%...
At least the applications they showed do work as presented.
What is mind blowing is that we spent several weeks preparing the trailer just to replicate what was already possible in real time...

Completely different MS here from what we were used to in the way they plan their strategy... The technology does work, but they want this to work as a platform, so they wont release this till they have a healthy ecosystem of apps in place first.

G
Mihai wrote:
When you change the way you see the world,
you can change the world you see.
Had to read that a few times....confusing statement.

If only 10% of what they show in that promo actually works as presented, it could be a hit. But I have doubts :P
By Mihai
Tell us more :) And how laggy is it when you move your head left/right quickly? It would be great if the projected objects stayed put with zero drift as they show in the video, so how much do they slide in reality?
By gianca
I did not have the pleasure to test it myself: only few privileged ones were allowed to go up in Seattle and try it...
However I was told from the people who tried it that once you put augmented reality elements in there they "stick"... You can blow hole on objects and walls and see trough virtual worlds and you just buy it... No lag.
There are several articles from journalists that tried it and they all say the same thing.
Which is crazy considering it took us days to track every shot that the HoloStudio can do in real time.
Nasa is planning to deploy their own application this coming summer, which is what it's shown on the demos and the trailer.

There are 3 things that have been shown to be clear:
1 The trailer which was done with conventional vfx methods to get a polished, filmed look.
2 The individual demo videos that are beta applications from either MS or other partners like NASA. Basically a screen capture of the experience.
3 The live demos which they did Wednesday in front of an audience, using a camera rig that used a custom version of the goggles so the audience could see what the demonstrator was doing from a second virtual point of view: if you know how things go on a trade show demo you know how things go hairy easily but the demonstrator was able to pick things and interact with them just as easily as you could with the first version of the iPhone. Remember that ten years ago? Now picture this in TEN years from now...

One application I saw that did not made it to the trailer was a cooking app: I only saw it once, but I recall being able to measure things, having a list of ingredients sticking above the stove, etc. And just two weeks ago I thought I was cool cooking with my iPad next to me!

Interesting times my friends...
Now, what's next??? Flying cars? Hot replicants?
:)

G
Mihai wrote:Tell us more :) And how laggy is it when you move your head left/right quickly? It would be great if the projected objects stayed put with zero drift as they show in the video, so how much do they slide in reality?
By Mihai
Thanks for that info, sounds promising. I'm skeptical that current hardware can keep up with say 150fps or more to make it smooth enough, and precise enough, but it's only the beginning of course. Stick a few lasers on that thing and it would be a great 3D scanner :)
SS Pinto Bean

It's bean a while.... I don't know how to insert […]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

https://community.sketchucation.com/category/49/wi[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]