Please post here anything else (not relating to Maxwell technical matters)
By eric nixon
What if he sells a piece, then decides to print and sell it again? or even sneakier, specify that its a one-off, but then just sim it again with slightly different settings and print that?

I think the fact that its printed means that they cant have unique value, they cant become precious in the 'art market' sense.

Mind you several artists use teams of people to churn out iterative work like damien hurst spin paintings for example, did they hold their value? I dont know, prob not...
By mtripoli
Quote: "The process is completely autonomous; there is no human intervention".

Art exposes a part of one's soul; no "intervention", no soul.
By hatts
eric nixon wrote:I think the fact that its printed means that they cant have unique value, they cant become precious in the 'art market' sense.
This is what people have said about photography for decades. Photography prints still clawed their way up to the status of being precious art items, but you're right; they never reached the astronomical level of sculptures/paintings.
mtripoli wrote:Art exposes a part of one's soul; no "intervention", no soul.
Here then you're dismantling the entire idea of unpredictable creation, and with it all of generative art. One could argue that when a person sets up the original parameters, intervention has already occurred before the piece is even created.

Also @eric nixon: I'm with you in being split between a *yawn* and a *wow* with this artist.
By bograt
Interesting but a bit cheap. Like so many contemporary artists I think hes trying to pump deep meanings into something eye catching or just interesting to look at. It's certainly novel but in my opinion this belongs in the science museum rather than an art gallery.
By Fernando Tella
mtripoli wrote:Quote: "The process is completely autonomous; there is no human intervention".

Art exposes a part of one's soul; no "intervention", no soul.

Well, he has to setup the simulations, choose what to do, clean the meshes for a proper printing, make them stable, print them and finish them (against what people usually thinks, 3D printing is not very straightforward). I think there's a lot of room to intervene in the process.

Besides, art doesn't have to have a meaning, sometimes it's just something unusual, funny or surprising. I tend not to dig too much into the meanings of art cause I think very often if not always, the meaning is put afterwards the creation. Most of the time art is just entertainment; the making of enjoyable things.

I think the job of this artist fulfills this last part at least.
By PA3K
For me value of the art is about:
1. feelings
2. uniqueness
3. time invested to do the things (or learning to do it better)
4. artist .... to know artist as a person (better understand him/her and things they do)
5. minimum technology limitations (someone should do almost the same thing with other technology or technique)
Look how many things in present days are technology (money) limited. Many aspects of our lifes goes ART-ificial, because of money. Sometimes they call this art functionalism. Now they can call it technologism. Here you can see many cube buildings, because it is easy to click on cube icon (every software has it). They call it modern ... I appreciate every artist who spend his life to come to conclusion that stright line or cube is the most pretty thing, but i think this should be on the end of maturity process as in mathemathics where we are searching for simplest solution, not a start point because technology (software) suggest me solution.
My mom can do the best dinner, because her love is the best ingredient.

If the art is closely tied to technology, longetivity of this art is the same as longetivity of the technology.

In our language word ART = UMENIE ... UM = something from our brain on
high level, and -ENIE is lurking process.

Anyway i like technology and people that are experimenting with everything :wink:

Patrik

what about gpu maxwell q project?

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]