By macitect
I've had issues trying to get scenes to render directly out of SU, and have just recently found the cause and am hoping someone can help me resolve it...

For some reason when I export my "material0" (default SU color) exports as an mxm with a non-existant jpg which maxwell looks for, can't find and then refuses to render. The solution is to open the exported mxs in studio (something I tend to do anyways) and uncheck the empty image holder and it works fine. This doesn't happen on automatically on new files, but I don't know when/why this happens and how I can reverse it...

Any ideas?
By x_site
i have had lots of issues with MR for SU but never this one... could you resolve it by applying a MXM material to the default SU material? you should also try and purge components and then materials so you have fewer 'red crosses'....
By macitect
x_site wrote:i have had lots of issues with MR for SU but never this one... could you resolve it by applying a MXM material to the default SU material? you should also try and purge components and then materials so you have fewer 'red crosses'....
Thanks for the thoughts. The red crosses don't bother me... I've yet to work out a system for conversion, but I tend to do a lot of work in studio anyway so I adjust all those then.

I just tried to apply default.mxm to the default SU material and it doesn't stick. Anyone else tried this?
By fv
I also stumbled on this bug and lost todays job. Spend 4 hours trying to figure out what it was and had to cancel the job we got to do a render for a colleague architect. Its too late now to pick up where we were this morning. In architecture things are hectic and Maxwell is not helping us when we need to do things fast.
By brodie_geers
Not ideal, but I have a fairly quick check that I do to find out which material is causing the problem when this sort of thing comes up.

Go to the top of your material list in Studio and select the first material. Go down to the material editor section and set your preview settings to something low, say quality 4, the default. Double click the preview window to regenerate your material preview. It should cycle through like normal 1,2,3,4 done. Go to the next material on your list and do the same. Eventually you'll hit a material that doesn't regenerate. That's the mystery material. Then you just need to find out where your texture path got messed up.

Even with 100 or so materials this shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so.

-Brodie
By fv
thanks, thats how I found the problem.
And thanks to macitect I do not feel alone.

The way it is now you can no longer render straight from SU.
Its just a bug where the image map is checked where it should not.
By macitect
fv wrote:The way it is now you can no longer render straight from SU.
Its just a bug where the image map is checked where it should not.
Yep a bit frustrating. However, as soon as you open in Studio, you don't even need to generate previews for all the materials, the offending one simply will have a check with a grey and black square rather than the yellow and black square that denotes a loaded bitmap image.

Another consolation is that it has never happened for me on any material other than material0 - so you really shouldn't need to go searching... Just open in studio, uncheck the box beside the bitmap symbol on material0 and away you go.

Another thing I discovered while trying to diagnose what was going on is that you cannot assign a default mxm to the default material in SU - nothing holds. This is another bug I would like to see fixed.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

They could still catch up without even finishing t[…]