By brodie_geers
OK, so I'm working on some displacement brick textures. I've figured out that I need to subdivide my flat faces into a bunch of small squares for the displacement map to work properly. However, I'm having an issue now where the corners of the building are pulling apart from each other. What's the fix for this?

-Brodie
By tom
Set polygon smoothing angle >=90 and Recalc. Turn on smoothing in displacement options. I hope that helps.
By brodie_geers
cool, I'll give that a shot. Another displacement question. I've tried doing some displacement brick w/ horrible results. After doing some research I think I've found that you need to subdivide the surface into small squares. Is this correct? I don't suppose there's a way around this or anything as it takes awhile to subdivide a big wall w/ openings in it.

-Brodie
By Mihai
It's just better if the mesh is subdivided a bit instead of being one big polygon. If the mesh is subdivided a bit you can use a lower precision value for displacement and have faster render times.
By pelias
Smoothing angle applies to other applications - it is not available in SketchUp. The solution for SU (as Mihai suggested) is to subdivide the original polygons as SU tends to create big polygons which can cause problems for displacement.

Pavol
By numerobis
pelias wrote:Smoothing angle applies to other applications - it is not available in SketchUp.
so the angle i can set in skp is not the same like smoothing angle? and is not used by mxw?
By pelias
numerobis wrote:so the angle i can set in skp is not the same like smoothing angle? and is not used by mxw?
I am not sure what you are referring to in this case - I am not aware of smoothing angle setting in SU. What I am missing?

Pavol
By Richard
pelias wrote:
numerobis wrote:so the angle i can set in skp is not the same like smoothing angle? and is not used by mxw?
I am not sure what you are referring to in this case - I am not aware of smoothing angle setting in SU. What I am missing?

Pavol
Pavol the smoothing angle in SU can be set via the Soften Edges dialogue panel.

Window > Soften Edges

As suggested abouve would this effect the edges of displaced faces?
By pelias
Ooops - I wasn't aware of that. Man learns every day :-)

Yes - it should have the desired effect as explained above.

Pavol
By jo
pelias wrote:Ooops - I wasn't aware of that. Man learns every day :-)

Yes - it should have the desired effect as explained above.

Pavol
I was always asking myself why we had to "recalc" and why Studio couldn't grab the smoothness from SU... :oops:

Ciao, Gio
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]