By messire
I have been trying to figure out how to make displacement work...
downloaded two mxm with displacement maps from the Mxm gallery...

I have done the following:
- mxm material editor: made sur the textures were found... made a preview and saved the material ( aka grass.mxm)
- in SU, used only the reflectance texture (grass.jpg) and made a new material out of it ( grass.skm).
When applying the material to the SU face, the pop up asks me to either choose a mxm or set a property to the SU material.. i chose the grass.mxm load option and hide panel.
- I render ( used the patch, now works) here is the result:

Heeelp :)
thnx
Nils
By macitect
Two things:
1. Subdivide the grass plane. I had the same problem and the displacement maps don't work well on large undivided planes. For us SU users this is a major problem... you'll have to do it manually or setup a TIN from scratch and make your planes about 10cm x 10cm.

2. Readjust the height of the displacement map. Make it absolute units and then choose a height that seems reasonable to you (maybe somewhere between 3 and 5 cm?...). (Maximus3D -the creator of the material- said that he exaggerated the height for the preview - there are already a few other threads about this...)

Let us know how it works out for you.
By messire
did it:
making small tiles makes it work, however i can see the tiles...is it anyway to go around this subdivision issue...? its a real pain if you work on a spheric shape, or any big size stuff...

N
By macitect
well for larger surfaces, I would suggest using the other grass types with a bit of bump... maybe use displacement just for close ups. but if you really want to use a terrain and triangulate.

concerning the tile pattern... nothing much to do about that. just try irregular subdivisions.

btw - how did you go about sub-ding? i have been doing it manually and would love other solutions...
By macitect
messire wrote:i just made a 10 x 10cm flat square with the texture, and grouped it, then multiplied it :)
N
Brilliant. So to get rid of the tiling maybe you could just adjust the texture on some of those squares... That might just break the visual pattern enough.
By messire
will try turning a few of the main ones before multiplying them to see if that works
:) i'll post an image asap :)
Nils

Added a red face because the grass appears to leave holes you can see through...not sure why.. it seems the black displacement zones appear transparent.

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]