Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
... I have to build OS x installers at work, so I was looking into creating a real package installer for Maxwell. While doing this, I was researching the ways to set environment variables, and it turns out, that it is much easier than in the Readme. Reminded me of that saying: "Those who don't know Unix are condemned to reinvent it - badly" :D

:idea: This procedure avoids to bluntly overwrite settings from other applications like the current procedure does. Overwriting an existing environment.plist means that after installing Maxwell *other* applications get into problems - which is a big NONO!
:idea: The good thing is that this method can be executed as a shell script, which means that a nice package installer is near.
In a later installer I think that the path should be adapted to have a real folder. I hope to get the application path from an installer variable, so the user can choose where to install Maxwell at will ;-)

Copy the application and set up the environment

1. Drag the Maxwell application into your Applications folder

2. Open the Terminal from the Applications > Utilities folder, and issue the following two commands. Press the enter key after each line:
defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment MAXWELL_ROOT "/Applications/maxwell.app/Contents/MacOS/"
env MAXWELL_ROOT="/Applications/maxwell.app/Contents/MacOS/"

:idea: The "/.MasOSX" directory is created automatically if it doesn't exist.
:idea: Also there is no need to log out and log in to set the environment variable.

Create and install the License file

1. Open TextEdit from the Applications folder

2. Create a new file, and convert it to pure Text ( cmd+shift+T )

3. Now paste your name, organization and serial. The correct format is:
NAME
ORGANIZATION
XXXXX-TTTTT-AAAAA-RRRRR

It is just three lines, no leading spaces or spaces in between. If you have problems with the license, then please double check this first!

4. Save it as license.txt.

5. Go to /Applications and ctrl-click on maxwell to show the Finder context menu. In the context menu chooses: "Show package contents".

6. In the windows that opens now navigate to Contents / MacOS and copy your license.txt there.

That's it!

The text for this can be downloaded here:
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/Maxwell/Readmefirst.zip

Hope it helps

Kabe
By Kabe
A little update, as Maxwell now comes in it's own folder...

Step 2 now should read:
2. Open the Terminal from the Applications > Utilities folder, and issue the following two commands. Press the enter key after each line:

defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment MAXWELL_ROOT "/Applications/Maxwell/maxwell.app/Contents/MacOS/"

env MAXWELL_ROOT="/Applications/Maxwell/maxwell.app/Contents/MacOS/"

I'm not shure if instead maywell.app it could be mxstudio.app instead to
launch Studio. Any comments on this?

Thanks and cheers

Kabe
By mgroeteke
Kabe wrote:A little update, as Maxwell now comes in it's own folder...

Step 2 now should read:

defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment MAXWELL_ROOT "/Applications/Maxwell/maxwell.app/Contents/MacOS/"

env MAXWELL_ROOT="/Applications/Maxwell/maxwell.app/Contents/MacOS/"

I'm not shure if instead maywell.app it could be mxstudio.app instead to
launch Studio. Any comments on this?

Thanks and cheers

Kabe
not sure if we still need to do this - in tiger at least. i copied the Maxwell folder onto my new quad powermac, run the nloffice.mxs file with the standalone renderer (drag and drop), restarted and everything was fine...
By deadalvs
MUST it be 10.4.x or can it be 10.3.9 too?

because this NEVER works !

dual 2.5 GHz

deadalvs
By mgroeteke
Kabe wrote:mmmh, so you can delete the environmanet variables... what do you get when you type "env" in the terminal?

Kabe
sorry, i forgot that i installed OSX on this mac using the 'transfer settings' option from another mac where maxwell was already installed. that's probably why it worked! the env command shows this:

MAXWELL_ROOT=/Volumes/Lynx_S/Production/Maxwell/maxwell.app/Contents/MacOS
SHLVL=1

so the env variable seems to be set.

still don't understand at all why NL doesn't deliver a proper installer for this software.

markus
By Kabe
Well, it would mean to read the doc fpr Apple's PackageInstaller which is delivered with Apple's Developer Tools.

It's not completely trivial, but actually I built an installer for Maxwell (beta) just for fun.

A nice introduction can be found here:
http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/PackageMaker_Howto.html

Kabe
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]