Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By DavidLemelin
Hey there,

I am liking the addition of the denoiser in Maxwell... it has made a significant difference in the amount of time I need to wait for renders... however, I always render my images with an alpha channel to suppress the background (all my work gets composited elsewhere)... for some reason Maxwell still delivers the .PNG image with the transparent background... but not on the denoised image.

Is there a setting I'm not using right or is this an issue? If it's an issue, does the latest release of 4.2 resolve this problem?
Hello David,

Currently, the denoised image is treated more like a post process and is not part of the mxi file, os it's just working as you say.
What you can do is open the render in Photoshop, Ctrl + click on the image to select the opaque part and then use the option to "Paste into" the selection (Edit > Paste Special > Paste into) to paste the denoised image over the normal render. You will see the background gets removed.

We have several plans to improve the workflow for the Denoiser (having only one pass is a real option and would simplify a lot the render process and the code), but there were no changes made in 4.2 regarding the Denoiser, sorry.

Best,
Fernando
By DavidLemelin
Thanks Fernando,

Unfortunately, I am familiar with the workaround you mentioned in Photoshop, but it's a whole series of steps which should be easily handled by Maxwell at the source. The Alpha channels are already rendered, they just need to be saved in the denoised image.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]