Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By mdfmuse
#392759
Dear Next Limit: :|

I have been trying to upgrade from Maxwell Render v3 to new v4 since the v4 release. Your web shop keeps quoting an incorrect price for the upgrade. I have opened two support tickets and written directly to Next Limit via email over the last week, but still the problem persists. Per Next Limit's blog post here (http://blog.maxwellrender.com/news/disc ... maxwell-4/), and this is a direct quote: "Example: If you are a 3ds Max user and you also use Cinema 4D (or you would like to use Studio in addition to Maxwell | 3ds Max), then a nodelocked upgrade would cost you 495€/$595 and a floating one – 595€/$695. You would get V4 Maxwell | 3ds Max + Maxwell | Cinema 4D (or Maxwell | Studio). If you had let’s say 8 rendernodes from a previous version, you can upgrade 10 x V4 rendernodes."
.
So, per your own blog post, the official upgrade price is $595 for the v4 node-locked software. Yet, my upgrade page on your web portal quotes me a price of $720 when I choose Maxwell Studio v4 node-locked + Maxwell Rhinoceros for Mac v4 + 4/5 render nodes. It should be $595.
.
Today I received another response from one of your support staff, and this is a direct quote: "Sorry for the issues. Would you like me to manually process your order? Just to clarify, nodes only work with Maxwell V4 floating licences and not with node-locked licences.
Cost:
Maxwell | Studio + Maxwell | Rhinoceros for Mac + 5 nodes
695$ + 125$ = 820$"
.
So your official blog post states $595, your upgrade web portal states $720, and your support staff states $820.
.
In addition, your support staff states that nodes only work with a floating license. I am trying to order a node-locked (not floating) license, yet your upgrade web portal is FORCING me to choose 3 items under the node-locked order section before it quotes a price; the last item has only one choice: 4/5 nodes. If I am ordering a node-locked upgrade, why is your order system forcing nodes onto me?
.
I am not the only person to encounter these pricing problems- there are others who have posted to this forum quoting the same pricing mistakes ($720).
.
Honestly, the release of v4 is riddled with problems. I've never had so much trouble trying to order an upgrade from any other company. Please respond here and explain what is going on- if you cannot offer me my upgrade at the stated (blog) price, then I will remain with v3 and not upgrade to v4.
By luis.hijarrubia
#392773
You are right. Prices doesn't match because now you have to upgrade the nodes. Along this week we are going to upgrade the selling website and you will have options to not upgrade the nodes, or upgrade more or less nodes. Then prices should match with blog ones. Very sorry from the inconvenience. As for your particular case, sales will keep in touch with you.
By mdfmuse
#392844
:!:
An update: It took a lot of effort and multiple emails back-and-forth between me and Next Limit, but today I was able to purchase Maxwell v4 at the price stated on Next Limit's blog. I was told to ignore the upgrade section of the Maxwell web portal, and Maxwell support instead placed a manual order in their system for me. I have downloaded the software and have been able to activate it. Now to testing its capabilities!
.
I really believe in Maxwell Render and think it is the *best* render software available; this is the only reason I was willing to put up with days of confusion, price errors, etc. In the end, I want Next Limit to do well and continue to develop Maxwell.
.
I do see from some initial usage that the Maxwell Rhinoceros for Mac plug-in is not fully formed yet (but, I was told this prior to making my purchase). Next Limit: Is there a time-frame on when Maxwell Rhinoceros for Mac will be updated to at least match most other plug-ins?
.
Thanks.
By JDHill
#392845
The question is: do you mean most other Maxwell Render plugins, or most other render plugins for Mac Rhino? Apparently, the timeframe is dependent upon Rhino 6, as it has been said by McNeel that only after Rhino 5 will the Rhino SDKs on mac & windows be able to reach parity, particularly in terms of their support for Rhino RDK functionality.
User avatar
By jwiede
#392910
Okay, so can someone from NextLimit please clarify what the story is with nodes and upgrades?

I currently have a "V3 Suite Floating" license, with 10 nodes. From the stories in this thread, the upgrade pricing of $595 doesn't appear to cover upgrading nodes, and will limit me to only a single integration (plus Studio, which is non-optional, IME). Frankly, a $600 upgrade for Mac customers given how little now comes with the base package (Studio+1 integration / 2 integrations), and how little has improved except GPU, feels like highway robbery, but I'm at least willing to hear NextLimit out.

I've routinely used Mx3 with C4D, MODO, LW and FormZ, and have since added Rhino-Mac as well. Setting aside LW support, which I can live without, I apparently still would need to purchase my Mx4 upgrade, 5 separate integrations (4+Studio), and also upgrade my nodes (I can get by with 5, don't need 10), to get Mx4 capabilities at same level I had for Mx3. Can't wait to see how much they want me to pay to "upgrade" (and what % of rebuy cost that yields). I cannot even begin to get coherent numbers from the Portal upgrade form, so I'll be calling the USA office this coming week to try and get a useful estimate for my upgrade cost.

I'll say this, if NextLimit thinks I'm paying >$1000 to __UPGRADE__ my Mx3 install to Mx4 just to get same functionality as I have now (given much less than 100%-rebuy level product improvement occurred for Mac folks), they've completely lost the plot (and likely my future business), esp. given how poorly-handled this whole Mx4 situation has been for existing MaxwellRender customers.

:shock: :x :roll:
User avatar
By jwiede
#392968
itsallgoode9 wrote:Somebody in marketing/sales really screwed over all their existing customers
Yep, esp. when you look at the actual improvements provided that allegedly justify that price increase.

There are right ways and wrong ways to handle situations like this, and NL is consistently choosing the wrong way at every turn. It's really a shame, because I really do love MaxwellRender and want to see it succeed. However, NL needs to provide additional value to merit additional cost, and they definitely haven't provided anywhere near enough added value in V4 to justify the egregious increases in pricing they've made (esp. w.r.t. Mac customers).
User avatar
By choo-chee
#392986
jwiede wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:Somebody in marketing/sales really screwed over all their existing customers
Yep, esp. when you look at the actual improvements provided that allegedly justify that price increase.

There are right ways and wrong ways to handle situations like this, and NL is consistently choosing the wrong way at every turn. It's really a shame, because I really do love MaxwellRender and want to see it succeed. However, NL needs to provide additional value to merit additional cost, and they definitely haven't provided anywhere near enough added value in V4 to justify the egregious increases in pricing they've made (esp. w.r.t. Mac customers).
I agree. I've used the promo to get version 3 (and 4) but the difference between 2.7 to 3 is quite notable for some features...while v4, as for now, offers nothing. GPU works partially, on small scenes only. other improvements are minor. unless GPU is working as CPU and preferably GPU with CPU, I see no reason to move forward to v4.
By numerobis
#393015
I just saw that the upgrade options have changed. Now it is 595€ for the two plugins/Studio and a separated 190€ for 10 nodes! Wow, this is getting even more creative every time... Now if i buy a new license for 695€ or 895€ i can add 10 nodes for 95€ and the upgrade for my 10 old nodes (or for my 1 to 9 nodes if i wouldn't have 10 nodes at all) is 190€? Really?

If i need to upgrade Max, SketchUp, Rhino, Studio and 1-10 nodes i have to pay 595€+595€+190€ = 1380€
to upgrade a license where the last upgrade was around 495€, if i remember correctly - incl. all plugins. So this is an increase of ~180% for much less plugins and flexibility!

If i only need the Sketchup plugin and 1-10 nodes i pay 595€+190€=785€ for the upgrade or 695€+95€=790€ for a new license? Interesting...

So if i need Max+SketchUp+Studio and 10 nodes the best option would be to upgrade the more expensive Max plugin and Studio (or Sketchup) without nodes for 595€ and then buy one additional new SketchUp (or Studio) license + 10 nodes for 790€. 595+790€=1385€ instead of 1380€ to upgrade two licenses. And then keep my other v3/v2 license or sell it... :roll:

I really don't get what's going on here... the only thing i know is that i will never upgrade to V4 under these conditions with the need to pay 1380€ to get my current setup updated, losing the flexibility to switch to other modeling apps - which was one big selling point of Maxwell for more than 10 years. Besides the fact that there are no new features except the GPU which is still in alpha stage with all these missing features and problems. Simply unbelievable! :shock:
User avatar
By talos72
#393094
I too am very unhappy with new licensing as i have been a user since v2. I loved using Maxwell as a hub renderer...now, to run it on Modo, Rhino and Maya it would cost at least double my previous upgrade price. For now I am skipping Maxwell.
#393148
choo-chee wrote:
jwiede wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:Somebody in marketing/sales really screwed over all their existing customers
Yep, esp. when you look at the actual improvements provided that allegedly justify that price increase.

There are right ways and wrong ways to handle situations like this, and NL is consistently choosing the wrong way at every turn. It's really a shame, because I really do love MaxwellRender and want to see it succeed. However, NL needs to provide additional value to merit additional cost, and they definitely haven't provided anywhere near enough added value in V4 to justify the egregious increases in pricing they've made (esp. w.r.t. Mac customers).
I agree. I've used the promo to get version 3 (and 4) but the difference between 2.7 to 3 is quite notable for some features...while v4, as for now, offers nothing. GPU works partially, on small scenes only. other improvements are minor. unless GPU is working as CPU and preferably GPU with CPU, I see no reason to move forward to v4.
Well I also used the promo to get version 3 (and V4).... I tried V3 (fully licensed), since i am still waiting on my V4 fully licensed.. :( So I tried the Demo version 4 and it turns out my V3 became a Demo version too. :( And i tried to re-activate my License and etc., but without any success. Even V4, I couldn't use my license.. Now I'm stuck with only Demo versions!! Which means no business for my firm. Anyone else having this issue? Still no answer from the support team...
User avatar
By seghier
#393151
OHinteriordesign wrote: Well I also used the promo to get version 3 (and V4).... I tried V3 (fully licensed), since i am still waiting on my V4 fully licensed.. :( So I tried the Demo version 4 and it turns out my V3 became a Demo version too. :( And i tried to re-activate my License and etc., but without any success. Even V4, I couldn't use my license.. Now I'm stuck with only Demo versions!! Which means no business for my firm. Anyone else having this issue? Still no answer from the support team...
in localhost:5054
under status you will see which license used
if the server read the demo license remove it to use your first v3 license and click re-read /restart
Image
if you have V4 license add it in the same license file of V3 but you can't use the two versions at the same time because the server read one license
i don't know when maxwell team solve this problem
By OHinteriordesign
#393197
seghier wrote:
OHinteriordesign wrote: Well I also used the promo to get version 3 (and V4).... I tried V3 (fully licensed), since i am still waiting on my V4 fully licensed.. :( So I tried the Demo version 4 and it turns out my V3 became a Demo version too. :( And i tried to re-activate my License and etc., but without any success. Even V4, I couldn't use my license.. Now I'm stuck with only Demo versions!! Which means no business for my firm. Anyone else having this issue? Still no answer from the support team...
in localhost:5054
under status you will see which license used
if the server read the demo license remove it to use your first v3 license and click re-read /restart
Image
if you have V4 license add it in the same license file of V3 but you can't use the two versions at the same time because the server read one license
i don't know when maxwell team solve this problem
Thank you, but unfortunately i deleted my V3 before i saw this.. which was my mistake. I have the same information until debug log file, after that, there's nothing on license files. :(
V4 demo is completely deleted. I reinstalled the V3 and it still doesn't want to accept my License... How can I fix that now?
Who are you?

Mike 61 West midlands Disabled ex soldier I am try[…]

I haven't had any resolution on this issue, despit[…]

Simple basics in pdf form.

Right, first off I made a huge mistake which compo[…]

Question for Maya users

Hi, Which version do you use for those that are o[…]