By John Layne
Crash when importing objects.

Steps taken

1/ Created an assembly in SolidWorks exported as pvm1.mxs file (didn’t assign any materials or emitters)
2/ Opened pvm1.mxs file in Studio.
3/ Modified the original assembly in SolidWorks moved a few objects added some more lighting and saved as pvm2.mxs
4/ Tried to import object in Studio, with the intention of replacing all previous objects but keeping material assignments.
5/ Import options dialogue comes up – (Camera) Replace the old one - apply to all
6/ Import options dialogue comes up (material default material exists) – Ignore the new one – apply to all
7/ Import options dialogue comes up (objects - slightly different dialogue more options) - replace the old one – apply to all
Crashes

Repeat steps 1 to 7 except in step 7 select ignore the new one – doesn’t crash but parts haven’t moved - new parts are added.

Looks like I’ll have to reapply all the materials etc to the new scene – that’s a lot of work.

Is there a workaround for this? [edit] Can someone else confirm this is an issue?
By superbad
I have exactly the same issue. I have never been able to replace a changed model. Crashes every time. I have to delete the old parts first and then reassign all the materials, which is indeed a lot of work.
By juan
It was working in our systems but fortunately we have achieved to reproduce this issue, it will be fixed in the next update.

Juan
By adamwade
I have had alot of crashes with Solidworks and thanks to your posts realized it is the MW plugin.

Importing IGES files crash.

Off and on crashing when I double click on a SW file directly to open it in Solidworks.

Also a lot of crashing when opening SW files from different folders. In other words, I can open files from one project folder just fine, but later when I change to open SW files from a different folder (to work on a different project) then crash. I have to restart SW almost every time.

All these problems are gone once I unload the MW plugin.
By John Layne
Mmmm - I didn't associate the crashing with the plug-in, I just thought this is typical of SoldWorks :(

I'll unload the plugin when not rendering and see if this resolves a few of my SolidWorks, random crashes.

As a rule I usually uncheck most of the addins if not using them, as other addins have caused issues in the past.

On a side note. The other day I had to install SolidWorks 2005 on my PC. SolidWorks 2005 would not run if the maxwell plug-in was checked in SolidWorks 2006. It took me 3 hours to figure why I couldn't run 2005, reinstalled 2 or 3 times before it dawned on me to uncheck this in 2006.
By Eric Lagman
I turn off the maxwell plug-in unless I am doing an actual rendering. It crashes solidworks a lot like adamwade is saying. Mainly for me when saving or closing files it will just go down like a flash.
By jjs
I've read all your post - if I undersatnd you correctly , its Maxwell that is causing all these SW crashes I'm having. I can't believe it :D - that would mean that without Maxwell , SW would not crash and I just know that SW always crashes , just as night follows day !! It has been crashing for the last ten years and I have never known it not to crash at least twice a day. 2001 was the bad year - 2 times and hour was getting off lightly.

I'll turn off the Maxwell plugin from now on :D when I'm not using it.

I feel really bad now - all the times I have envoked the voodoo curses on to SW employees :D

Jonathan
By Eric Lagman
jjs wrote:I've read all your post - if I undersatnd you correctly , its Maxwell that is causing all these SW crashes I'm having. I can't believe it :D - that would mean that without Maxwell , SW would not crash and I just know that SW always crashes , just as night follows day !! It has been crashing for the last ten years and I have never known it not to crash at least twice a day. 2001 was the bad year - 2 times and hour was getting off lightly.

I'll turn off the Maxwell plugin from now on :D when I'm not using it.

I feel really bad now - all the times I have envoked the voodoo curses on to SW employees :D

Jonathan
Oh dont worry you will still get crashes. Just not as many maybe :wink:
By b-kandor
That's interesting. Recently I began having crashes importing iges files - which I never thought could be related to maxwell. By the way, I discovered if you have a part open in SW then import the iges file it will not crash - weird.

This is mainly happening with iges assemblies (multiple parts inside one iges).

The thing that is bugging me about SW2006 (which has been one of the most stable releases I remember) are several extremely annoying drawing issues, like note arrows not snapping correctly or difficulty selecting the second dim line if the line is not coplanar. Argghhhh!

VAR's can't fathom why these things are so frustrating since they just don't have the hours invested!

Kandor
By superbad
John Layne wrote:Crash when importing objects.

Steps taken

1/ Created an assembly in SolidWorks exported as pvm1.mxs file (didn’t assign any materials or emitters)
2/ Opened pvm1.mxs file in Studio.
3/ Modified the original assembly in SolidWorks moved a few objects added some more lighting and saved as pvm2.mxs
4/ Tried to import object in Studio, with the intention of replacing all previous objects but keeping material assignments.
5/ Import options dialogue comes up – (Camera) Replace the old one - apply to all
6/ Import options dialogue comes up (material default material exists) – Ignore the new one – apply to all
7/ Import options dialogue comes up (objects - slightly different dialogue more options) - replace the old one – apply to all
Crashes

Repeat steps 1 to 7 except in step 7 select ignore the new one – doesn’t crash but parts haven’t moved - new parts are added.

Looks like I’ll have to reapply all the materials etc to the new scene – that’s a lot of work.

Is there a workaround for this? [edit] Can someone else confirm this is an issue?
So. We've had at least a year to fix this bug, and it's still there in V1.5. This means every time I make a change to something in Solidworks (which is often), I have to completely reassign UVs and materials in Studio. I can't believe there isn't more of an outcry over this- does it work for everyone else?

I'm begging you Next Limit, fix this. Please. And whoever is responsible for this plugin: I will pay cash money if you can give me a patch to fix this problem. It has cost me countless hours of my time. PM me with your price. I am serious.

I'm trying to stay calm about the quality of this release, but it's getting more and more difficult.
By juan
Hi superbad,
superbad wrote: So. We've had at least a year to fix this bug, and it's still there in V1.5.
We have reproduced the sequence of steps with success in v1.5, are you doing any other intermediate step? If there is a bug here we will fix it immediately, even we could provide you an speciañ version to check that everything is working fine in your system.

We are very sorry about the instabilities running the latest plugin. It seems that something has happened in the latest SPs that makes the plugin to crash. Actually all the changes in the plugin since the latest update have been local changes to fix specific bugs and support for all the new 1.5 features, we have not changed the architecture of the plugin or any main part, so it is difficult to find what is causing that it crashes when loading assemblies in many computers. We could not reproduce it here yet, we are going to install SolidWorks in many machines to see if finally we can get theser crashes.

Regards,

Juan
By superbad
This bug has existed for me in every version and service pack of Solidworks since I bought Maxwell over a year ago. And I know I'm not alone, because I see other people reporting it every few months.

Are you really saying this works for you with an assembly of more than one or two parts? If this is working for you I throw up my hands. I'm beyond frustrated.

You guys desperately need a bugzilla-style system for checking in and monitoring the status of bugs.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Although i’ve been happily rendering away in[…]

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]