All posts related to V3
By Q2
Congratulations to the whole NL-team for the new version release!

It's going to be a fun December now... :D :D :D

But, I do have one question:

Is it possible to run V3 next to V2 on the same Mac/PC? Or will the new license manager screw up my old V2 version. I am rendering for a client right now and do not want any "surprises" like, OPPS... Maxwell V3 shut down V2, or something like that!

Any thoughts or infos?

Cheers

Q!
Last edited by Q2 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I run multiple versions concurrently on Windows, but not on OSX. On Windows, Maxwell uses the MAXWELL2_ROOT and MAXWELL3_ROOT environment variables to specify the location of each, with the result being that plugins are easily able to differentiate between them. On OSX, though, plugins generally find the location of the Maxwell applications by asking Finder which app is used to open MXS files. Since Finder can only have one default app for a file type, that basically means you can only have one version working properly on a given machine.

Even if that were not the case, I would still not recommend it on OSX, since I have sometimes had fun with Finder getting confused as to what is what, and where, such that it has even happily tried to run applications (or portions thereof) that were supposedly in the trash. So my recommendation on OSX always involves completely deleting the previous application, emptying the trash, and rebooting, before then installing the newer version. License-wise, the two versions use completely different licensing systems, so they should not interfere with one another in that respect.

But regardless of all that, I would never personally recommend switching application versions in the middle of a project.
By Q2
Thanks for the infos, JD!

I am only going to setup V3 as soon as I get these renderings out the door. No installing for me right now, that's for sure.

Even though I would LOVE to try out the new version......

One more thing: I am waiting for Apple to release the new MacPro. As soon as it'll come out I am getting two. On one of those Mac's I want to install the license manager. What happens if I choose to install the license manager on my current MacPro and want to transfer the license manager later to the new machine. Is that possible or should I wait till the new Mac has arrived?

Q!
Hi Q!

no problem, you can install the license server in your current MacPro now and serve licenses from that machine. When you get your new MacPro, you can install a license server there, activate again the license for the new server, and serve licenses from there.

Best regards.
Miguel.
SS Pinto Bean

It's bean a while.... I don't know how to insert […]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

https://community.sketchucation.com/category/49/wi[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]