All posts related to V3
By limbus
From the manual:
On Windows and Linux, the plug-in depends on the MAXWELL3_ROOT environment variable being set correctly. If this variable is missing or wrong, the plug-in will be unable to start the renderer or the standalone material editor.
If I want to switch between different Maxwell 3 versions, do I need to switch this environment variable as well?

Lets say I have Maxwell 3.1 and 3.2 installed in different directories. Sometimes I need to go make some changes to an older scene and render with 3.1. Does this require changing the variable? What does this variable do anyway?

I am asking because I try to set up a system with Deadline that would make switching between versions much easier. Here is a link to my question on the Deadline forum.
By dk2079
i think one way to do this is simply replacing folder content.

so the directory remains "maxwell 3" and you simply batch copy the 3.0, 3.1 ,etc. install into there
By JDHill
No need to copy, just keep both directories -- only one can be named Maxwell 3 at any given time.
By limbus
JDHill wrote:No need to copy, just keep both directories -- only one can be named Maxwell 3 at any given time.
This renaming trick might work but it also means that I can only use either 3.1 or 3.2. Not practical since I want to switch between versions only for a part of the renderfarm. Not everything.
By limbus
dk2079 wrote:i think one way to do this is simply replacing folder content.

so the directory remains "maxwell 3" and you simply batch copy the 3.0, 3.1 ,etc. install into there
This is not a good idea for several reasons:
- it doesn't scale well with many machine
- it is unclear which version is installed on a particular machine
By dk2079
limbus wrote:
dk2079 wrote: - it doesn't scale well with many machine
- it is unclear which version is installed on a particular machine
maybe I don't know enough about your system topology, but I'd say:

-if you copy over the network yes, if you copy from a local directory a few seconds. no need to copy entire install with all library files.
-if you push the copy before you render, you are always sure which version is running.
By limbus
dk2079 wrote: -if you copy over the network yes, if you copy from a local directory a few seconds. no need to copy entire install with all library files.
I have Maxwell installed in one central directory on a network share. This means that I would have to replace the Maxwell version for everyone or for no one. For your suggestion I would have to have Maxwell installed locally on every computer. And even then it is copying a directory on 45+ machines before a render vs. setting one environment variable.

But back to my original questions:

If I want to switch between different Maxwell 3 versions, do I need to switch this environment variable as well?
What does this variable do anyway?
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Although i’ve been happily rendering away in[…]

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]