By itifonhom
Hi there everybody!
I´m really quite new here, my very first post, just joined Maxwell a couple of days ago!
So to my questions: First, I try to assign a material to a mesh selection, just like in C4D but it seems it doesn´t work that way for Maxwell, since the material is assigned to the whole model instead of just the selection, so I suppose I have to split the mesh to assign different materials to it or use alpha mask, is that right? Or maybe I´m doing something wrong when I assign a material? I use the drag and drop method on the view port, using a Maxwell Scene in C4D. Can anyone please point me to the right direction here?
Second, I already have the model textured in C4D and then I create materials for every part and preview them in FIRE. I noticed though that for some parts that no Maxwell material is yet created I get a white reflective material preview and for some other parts I get a preview of the C4D material, even if it´s not converted or created! Could someone explain to me why is this happening and what makes the difference between the two preview outputs? Well, obviously, it´s not that of a big deal since I will eventually cover the whole model with Maxwell materials but I´m really curious why this is happening.
By JDHill
Maxwell materials are assigned the same as Cinema materials: they are attached to Texture Tags, which are applied to the object. Therefore, the only thing you are probably missing here is to select the Texture Tag and then drag the desired selection into its "Selection" field, under "Tag Properties" in the Attribute Manager.

Regarding automatic conversion of materials, and as you will find, this is not generally the best option, since it is not possible to convert every possible Cinema material to a sensible Maxwell equivalent (when no material is present, you will see a default diffuse grey one, so your mention of things being a reflective white implies that there is a Cinema material being converted). One approach for dealing with this is to use the plugin's Convert Cinema Materials command to replace Cinema materials with converted versions prior to rendering, so that you can then go in and change any of the converted materials how you like. The materials you end up with in that case are the same ones that would be generated on-the-fly during export, but you can now edit them using the plugin's material editor.
By itifonhom
I see, got the material assignment just right, was really easy. And thank you for the tips on the conversion of materials. I already saw that converting isn´t much helpful indeed but creating new materials in Maxwell is really a piece of cake and of course, the online library is quite useful too! Many many thanks for the really quick reply!!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Although i’ve been happily rendering away in[…]

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]