By choo-chee
hi, is it possible to have MXS references that have pre-determined layers inside them?
I mean, when having a scene with 10 cars, 20 trees and 50 plants, every time I place a reference maya will
automatically recognize the built-in layer inside each MXS and add it to the correct layer in the main scene?
so if I need to test the scene without the cars and trees but wanna see the plants, I'll be able to turn layers on and off
for all those heavy objects, in a simple click, without having to add each MXS to the right layer when I place it inside the scene...?
By ababak
Even if it was available I'd choose to move cars, plants and people to separate mxs. That gives more flexibility and doesn't require a lot of extra work. Just my thoughts ;)
By Mihnea Balta
Hi,

No, the MXS reference system is not flexible enough to allow for this. Maybe in the future, but it requires non-trivial changes at the engine level.
By choo-chee
thanks. So maybe is it possible to write a simple script that places an MXS reference and then links it to a pre-specified layer?
like having 3 toolbar buttons, one for cars, one for trees, one for plants ....?
By ababak
Maybe I don't understand your workflow. Isn't assigning an MXS reference to a layer in Maya a one-click action? Why do you need a script for this?
By choo-chee
imagine a scene with a house and 5 cars, 20 plants, 10 trees etc.... all are MXS references.
Now in order to work fast on the house itself (guess what? the architect just changed half of it...) I want to work on the model itself without those objects that just clatter the viewport.
so I put all MXS in a layer that is easy to turn on and off. but sometimes I want to keep some of the MXS to work, say all the plants in the balconies... but don't want all other MXS (cars, trees etc.). So I have to manually select each object and assign it to a different layer or just hide it. too much work. having separate layers for each type of objects is not my idea.... :lol:
By ababak
Yes, there's no doubt that layers help a lot. I just can't understand why you can't assign all the trees to a separate layer just by clicking one button in Maya.
By choo-chee
When you place lots of plants of different types, you don't want to click each and assign it to a layer. you want it to be automatically. like when modelling, I use a different color for each material of the model's materials, and don't need to re-assign every object I create, since the app knows that the current color is the object's material.
By ababak
You may check "Add new objects to current layer" and just select an appropriate layer before placing the objects.
By choo-chee
I know but I'm trying to avoid that since this causes mistakes since forgetting to set the correct current layer is common :roll:
take example from artlantis render (I played with it a few years ago), you can drag library instances (=MXS) and it will automatically divide it to the corresponding object type groups (cars, people etc.)
SS Pinto Bean

It's bean a while.... I don't know how to insert […]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

https://community.sketchucation.com/category/49/wi[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]