By stir
I just did a quick search so there might already be a thread about this.

But have anyone els experienced the checker pattern bug, when rendering with displacement?

The shader contains of a wood diffuse texture
and a wood displacement texture.

The box (aka the wood) is pre subdivided inside max with tessellation (to sharp up the edges) then a turbosmooth (to round of the rest)

tesselation = 2

turbosmooth = 3

The displacement shader have bin tested all the way from 2 - 16 subdivisions. Everything above subdiviton 4 creates these checker patterns. The calculation type is pretesselated. We can do on-the-fly because the slaves that gonna take over this scene shouldn't have enough ram to solve it then.

Anny ideas on what causing this?

Best regards
By numerobis
I also had problems with pre-tesselated displacement but with a slightly different result...
Going above a specific tesselation number resulted in artifacts like these (same material, same scale)

i think the lower one had only a smaller subdivision value, but i'm not sure about it - maybe the lower one was on-the-fly. But on-the-fly fixed the problem.

As variation i got missing squares (parts without displacement) in an almost closed displacement, analog to the underlying subdivision.
By stir
Hi, sorry for such a late reply, hope you all have had a good weekend.

Here is two images of the box, one is the base mesh no subdivisions added. The second is after adding the tessellate and turbosmooth.

numerobis:

Thats exactly the same as us. After getting a serten value, in this case value 4. For pretesselated displacement, it seems to bug out. In your case a bit more random then us.

On the box we can clearly see the displacement getting applied to the whole mesh, but adds like a checker on top of it, like if it where in the color map.

What we did for now was to turn off the tessellation modifier. And instead just increase the tubosmooth, and that seemed to work just fine. still strange, maybe its something with the tessellation modifier?
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Although i’ve been happily rendering away in[…]

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]