Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By LadleSky10
"One year is a long time without a major update".

Wow! Guess I'm really old school. :lol:

(I'm still under the impression 1-2-3 years is a normal software update cycle.) :D
By LadleSky10
Totally agree.

But then that's why I'm completely happy to give them all the time that they need to perfect V5. (I think V4 was rushed --IMO. I 'd rather they not rush on V5. And to that end I'm very patient apparently! :) )
By Matteo Villa
V4 failed mainly because some key people of the old Devs staff left the Team.

And who stayed delayed the inevitable staying silent within the customers.

There is even a well written post on the forum that convinced some customers ( included myself) to give them another chance.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45473

Some of the older Dev team even created a new rendering engine. ( Bella rendering )

It’s not a matter of being slow in developing.

It’s about don’t screw up for the second time something that have clearly the potential to become one of the best rendering engine out there.
By LadleSky10
Ah, thanks for the insight. I recall reading the post(s).

Although, I'm still not clear on the reasons for the continued focus around the missteps with V4 --the objective or endgame at work there. Better to move forward and look ahead, yes? (IMO) :|

At any rate, again, thanks for the helpful explanation.
By Matteo Villa
The reason to your question is clearly written in the end of their statement

[…]

Maxwell 5 is more than a new version, it is a new statement of intent, a new deal with our community. With Maxwell 5 we are resuming communication in forums, producing early builds, and setting up a continuous development model to deliver minor versions regularly. We know we are behind schedule and many of you won’t be fully satisfied with the 5.0.0. Our short-term priorities are focused on perfecting multi-GPU, reduce memory footprint, and add the most in-demand features. We are maintaining upgrade prices as low as possible to ease this transition while keeping our economies sustainable. Anyway, you’ll be hearing from us.

I understand if these words are not enough for many of you who decided to go – let me say sorry one last time and thanks.

For the hundreds of users that are choosing to trust again in Maxwell, we’ll do our best to get your respect back again and have fun.

Thanks.

Victor Gonzalez
Founder / CEO
By Brian Buxton
Matteo Villa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:23 am
The reason to your question is clearly written in the end of their statement

[…]

Maxwell 5 is more than a new version, it is a new statement of intent, a new deal with our community. With Maxwell 5 we are resuming communication in forums, producing early builds, and setting up a continuous development model to deliver minor versions regularly. We know we are behind schedule and many of you won’t be fully satisfied with the 5.0.0. Our short-term priorities are focused on perfecting multi-GPU, reduce memory footprint, and add the most in-demand features. We are maintaining upgrade prices as low as possible to ease this transition while keeping our economies sustainable. Anyway, you’ll be hearing from us.

I understand if these words are not enough for many of you who decided to go – let me say sorry one last time and thanks.

For the hundreds of users that are choosing to trust again in Maxwell, we’ll do our best to get your respect back again and have fun.

Thanks.

Victor Gonzalez
Founder / CEO
Sigh.... So what happened to Victor's apology and plea for us to trust Nextlimit again?
(Stupidly I switch my C4D plugin (which does not work on my installation of R21) to FormZ, which is a pig to use and leaves nasty shading errors all over smooth objects - so unusable unless you are rendering boxes).
Having stuck with Maxwell since the v1 pre-releases I was pissed that the plugin integrations were cut to 2 for version 4 and then again to 1 for version 5. This might have been tolerable if Studio was included with the plugin licence, given that almost all the plugins seem to have issues.
Version 4 was bad enough to warrant an insincere apology and version 5 was what? Just taking the piss asking for 495 euros for our confiscated plugins and Studio back?
It is really hard to comprehend what Victor is thinking and what his new statement of intent really meant.
By Andreas Hopf
If nothing happens, I will transition all rendering courses (product/industrial/packaging/transportation design) to another software that is CAD package agnostic like Maxwell Studio.
By Tea_Bag
I just hate the radio silence about Maxwell V5's Roadmap. At least some information like if we will see an upcoming release before the end of the year.

All we want as customers is communication.....Example - Let say Maxwell 5.3 is released tomorrow are we going to wait another year for the next update with no communication!!?? I do understand that the team might be smaller or they are working hard on the next release but at least interact with us! :roll:

You have to be very confident about your software to think that customers will just come flooding back when a new version is released after leaving them in the dark for so long (the reason for them moving on to other render software) :roll:
By Andreas Hopf
Move on... must be CAD software agnostic, meaning standalone like MS, so Maverick or Keyshot... tough questions. Very important is that there is a fast crash-free interactive rendering mode like FIRE and a well maintained library of materials, very important for beginners and design studios.
By Matteo Villa
We can move on and find another rendering software.

Actually Twinmotion it’s a valid alternative especially when will be upgraded to Unreal Engine 5.

But it’s a shame such a beautiful and valid program it’s going to die.

I still hope they want to surprise us with something very astonishing and awesome but I doubt it.

Will be a problem whenever no more updates come out for next gen GPUs and they will shut down the server to check the license..
By Brian Buxton
The time between releases has not changed very much since v1 or even the initial v1 pre-release paid beta that went on for an astonishing 3 years.
So an expected v6 is not around the corner for at least another year, assuming nothing has changed. For sure NextLimit's communication and engagement with customers shows no sign of changing.
While the v4 release fell short of what was promised, this is nothing unusual and most software has better updates for some releases than others. V5 provided enough useful additions to be a good release. What sucked was the games Nextlimit has played with the licensing. V4 looked a lot worse with the flexibility to use Maxwell with all of the plugins and Studio curtailed to two plugins or a single plugin plus Studio. That made it a dreadful release. To reduce the license even further, with v5 getting just ONE plugin OR Studio seems idiotic. After more than a year passing and then offering the scope of the pre-v4 license as a paid feature upgrade was just fucking offensive. At the moment the upgrade costs as much as purchasing an additional plugin license.
There are some technical reasons why I am so angry about this, the FormZ plugin still misses import features from the 5.2 release and additionally has problems with smooth/curved objects rendering them with splotchy normal shading artefacts. So for 2 years, Maxwell has been largely unusable for me. Should I pay an additional 495 euros to have Studio and the other plugins? For that I could get a license of Indigo or Bella, I could get Maverick with change for a night out or roughly 4 months of a Keyshot subscription. Mostly I could invest that money with a developer willing to make the effort to engage with its customers and not mess about with the scope of the licenses. Regardless of the time I have invested in Maxwell, and the substantial asset libraries I have built up to make the best of it, that additional 495 euros feels too much given the uncertainty about Maxwell's future or confidence in Nextlimit to manage it properly.
I want to get the Bundle crossgrade but Nextlimit needs to say something of consequence first.
By Max
im used to make very simple arguments and thought process.
can someone explain to me why anyone would use Maxwell Studio paying 500€ over Blender + cycles for free?
get into the idea that blender is a standalone render engine. there is absolutely no reason to use maxwell anymore its way too behind.
and i hate blender, but to learn blender as a render platform, it takes 3 weeks top. you import your stuff, camera and objects with UV and shade them there. with interactive preview and cutting edge technology..

its that simple

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]