Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By choo-chee
we can talk about it again and again but as I see it, NL made a big mistake letting their users down with slow dev that reflect the slow render speed. a once very busy forum with users enjoying the best quality and workflow renderer, feeling like cheaters and only asking for more speed whatever - became almost a graveyard forum, with a few veteran users that simply know their s@#t so good they can get decent render times over weekends ;) .... In my eyes, NL should do nothing more than boost their users base back again with low prices or very good deals and support/tutorials with a dedicated crew for that, and dev should concentrate on speed alone, nothing else. give me a render (without all sort of "can't use this" or "to be supported in the near future" that) that will take an hour and not 4, and no one will even bother to look at Vray , Corona or Octane.
By Matteo Villa
choo-chee wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:59 pm
we can talk about it again and again but as I see it, NL made a big mistake letting their users down with slow dev that reflect the slow render speed. a once very busy forum with users enjoying the best quality and workflow renderer, feeling like cheaters and only asking for more speed whatever - became almost a graveyard forum, with a few veteran users that simply know their s@#t so good they can get decent render times over weekends ;) .... In my eyes, NL should do nothing more than boost their users base back again with low prices or very good deals and support/tutorials with a dedicated crew for that, and dev should concentrate on speed alone, nothing else. give me a render (without all sort of "can't use this" or "to be supported in the near future" that) that will take an hour and not 4, and no one will even bother to look at Vray , Corona or Octane.
You're right.

NL lost many user within the release of V4.

We paid for a list of features planned for V4
We paid again for the same feature list for the V5 ( and still waiting to see them all released)

I personally gave them the benefit of the doubt paying out again to buy again for something i didn't received within the V4 release.

If they plan to release a V6 with something that was on V4 feature list and request again a new payment, personally i'm out.

Actually Maxwell Render is supported directly by Core and old customers, before gaining new customers they need to don't loose the active ones.
By Max
Matteo Villa wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:35 pm
choo-chee wrote:
You're right.

We paid again for the same feature list for the V5 ( and still waiting to see them all released)

I personally gave them the benefit of the doubt paying out again to buy again for something i didn't received within the V4 release.

If they plan to release a V6 with something that was on V4 feature list and request again a new payment, personally i'm out.

Actually Maxwell Render is supported directly by Core and old customers, before gaining new customers they need to don't loose the active ones.
Well i think they already lost them. I bought v4 and never used once with gpu, pratically unusuable.
Let me tell you something... I went back to version 3.2 man... oh hell that was a software. Slick interface, extremely fast, rapid voxelization, instant geometry voxelization when you hit render, no glitches, the UI was perfect, maxwell 4 and 5 are horrible in terms of UI ,i dont know what they have done, but if you open up 3.2 that thing is so fast that its actually embarassing..

Now to the render core, tried v4 vs v5 vs 3.2 on cPU and there is no difference at all. Basically the cpu core is the same as 3.2 where also i have access to the plugins they supported back then (in my case softimage sill works wonder).

From 3.2 and on they just did worse. i bought v4 because i trusted them and i thought (coming from 3.2) that they would deliver... but well all know how it ended.
V5 i am waiting but probably im going to skip because the same issues and attitude i've been seen during v4 days is happening again, stale development, very slow release, very few communication and still feature missing.. i dont know it just doesnt convince me.

When i look on the other side of the fence i find a lot of render engines that are just so more developed and rich that it just annoys me how NL intentionally screwed up.
At this point im very afraid that this engine is basically done, just for people who are sentimentally attached to it, on a professional environment this engine is not really a competitor anymore vs other engines at all. I recently took a look at Maverick render (the old Arion) man that thing is fast..super slick interface, entry level price, just does its job especially for product rendering.

I am not even sure what are we all waiting here about Maxwell to be implemented...its a bit mindblowing.. everything with this company always seem so slow.
By Matteo Villa
Max wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:27 pm
Matteo Villa wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:35 pm
choo-chee wrote:
You're right.

Well i think they already lost them. I bought v4 and never used once with gpu, pratically unusuable.
Let me tell you something... I went back to version 3.2 man... oh hell that was a software. Slick interface, extremely fast, rapid voxelization, instant geometry voxelization when you hit render, no glitches, the UI was perfect, maxwell 4 and 5 are horrible in terms of UI ,i dont know what they have done, but if you open up 3.2 that thing is so fast that its actually embarassing..

Now to the render core, tried v4 vs v5 vs 3.2 on cPU and there is no difference at all. Basically the cpu core is the same as 3.2 where also i have access to the plugins they supported back then (in my case softimage sill works wonder).

From 3.2 and on they just did worse. i bought v4 because i trusted them and i thought (coming from 3.2) that they would deliver... but well all know how it ended.
V5 i am waiting but probably im going to skip because the same issues and attitude i've been seen during v4 days is happening again, stale development, very slow release, very few communication and still feature missing.. i dont know it just doesnt convince me.

When i look on the other side of the fence i find a lot of render engines that are just so more developed and rich that it just annoys me how NL intentionally screwed up.
At this point im very afraid that this engine is basically done, just for people who are sentimentally attached to it, on a professional environment this engine is not really a competitor anymore vs other engines at all. I recently took a look at Maverick render (the old Arion) man that thing is fast..super slick interface, entry level price, just does its job especially for product rendering.

I am not even sure what are we all waiting here about Maxwell to be implemented...its a bit mindblowing.. everything with this company always seem so slow.

1) To be clear, V5 is good in term of UI. A timid improvement over 4K support is still there. So if you use big screen and 4K it's a good investment
( if you base your business around maxwell render obviously) if you've already switched to Octane, Redshift, Vray, i don't think you need to switch back to Maxwell Render.

If the question is, V5 far better then V4 for GPU rendering? Definitely yes..
Is Maxwell Render at the same level of Real Time rendering software using GPU? : No absolutely.
But you've to consider the huge differences between BIASED and UNBIASED rendering.

2) CPU wise i 've the same feeling.
Even with a Threadripper 3990X , 3970X or 2990WX you feel like pushed back in comparison to other rendering engines.
I don't see important improvement over CPU engine in the last 2 release. Devs stated there will be some improvement in the next releases. Let's see.

3) GPU wise, i' ve seen some marginal improvement over performance and some good improvement in features.
Using the last patch i noticed a decrease in performance within my 4x 1080TI Workstation, so i downgraded by 1 patch release to keep the best performance.

Devs have already many things to release easily that would cost zero to minimum effort.
I even wrote them in this forum, but seems they don't want to listen and prioritize so easily features that would change the user experience fast and with many benefit in the long therms :mrgreen: .

For now i stick to Maxwell Render, since I'm comfortable with the Maxwell Studio workflow.

Does V5 worth a try? Yes, for now.
By choo-chee
I stick to Maxwell for now only because the easy to achieve super-realistic quality, and the assets I gained over 15 years of use. I render previews for one project on my render PC while working on my main working station PC on another project, and vice versa, to save some time and during nights and weekends I render better images. I can get along with it for now even that it's slow compared to others, only because the quality is the best. It will be very nice to get something as 30% speed increase using new CPU or GPU tech and even more if possible, since it will render a good image that took 20 hours (night+day) during the night itself..
By CDRDA
For me a lot of Maxwell is about the time saved setting up each scene compared with other engines. My material and model library means that my workflow is reasonably streamlined. The biggest problem I have setting up a scene is which HDRi to use and getting the sunlight/shadows balance looking right and maybe tweaking a few materials here and there.

I also use UE4 for movie walk throughs, which is the polar opposite of intuitive and easy to use and has a lightning fast development compared with Maxwell . "Lighting not working? Oh, I forgot to check/uncheck an option in a hidden menu somewhere ... Oh, another new version, so soon.... But my project now doesn't look the same as it did before.... Oh, the skylight doesn't seem to work with RTX ray tracing on interiors now..." And so it goes. So no piece of software is perfect, we learn to live with and work around most of the bugs and quirks. My sincerest hope is that Maxwell will endure for many years to come.... Maxwell must endure! Just don't sell out to Autodesk...

Because my business is a business, no matter how much I love what I do, cash flow and getting enough work in is a reality most of us have to face. At the moment, using Maxwell with SketchUp enables me to turnaround projects as efficiently as possible. Unfortunately I don't get the luxury to spend a month, or 2 months solid on a single project fine tuning materials and models to the nth degree to create absolute stunning visuals, but Maxwell currently gets the job done for me and has often led to clients ordering extra visuals.

Apart from the let down that has been the GPU engine, my one big problem at the moment with Maxwell is that the SketchUp plugin for 2021 has taken so long. I am fast approaching having to get a subscription, but if I was already on subscription, a quarter of that subscription year would have meant me having to use the previous version of SketchUp. I get that Covid has caused issues and I get that waiting for the 5.2 update is probably more economical and that would have been fine if everything had been released shortly before, or after new year. Waiting 3 months for a plugin update is a bit too long to be honest. So I am glad to hear that it will be released this week...? Or maybe next week?
Materials translucent with V5.1

Well, the problems can be in the chair, the monito[…]

hardware question :)

That’s a point to resolve fast. Other rend[…]

For me a lot of Maxwell is about the time saved se[…]

New podcast - CG Talks

Hey guys! We have just finished the second season[…]