Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By mjcherry
I rendered this scene to SL20 but there's still a lot of noise. Any advise on how to get it cleaner would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Mark Bell
You've probably already thought of this, but change the whites further away from the 255 setting, may be 220 or 215, then adjust the camera exposure settings (ISO etc.) to compensate?
Check the camera and artificial light settings closely mimic that of an interior photo and real world values,

On a design point, are there any skirtings to the floor-wall junctions? ....and if the design allows, change to sheet vinyl with coved skirtings which would also lower the reflections from the glazed floor tiles?
By mjcherry
Mark Bell wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:27 am
You've probably already thought of this, but change the whites further away from the 255 setting, may be 220 or 215, then adjust the camera exposure settings (ISO etc.) to compensate?
Check the camera and artificial light settings closely mimic that of an interior photo and real world values,

On a design point, are there any skirtings to the floor-wall junctions? ....and if the design allows, change to sheet vinyl with coved skirtings which would also lower the reflections from the glazed floor tiles?
I will look at that, thank you. I thought about adding the molding (skirting) but you won't see it in the final shot, which will be something like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By mjcherry
CDRDA wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 am
The ceiling lights look like they might no be flat planes, but modelled emitters with metal reflectors? If so, perhaps this is causing the extra noise?
Yes, you are correct. I will play with that.
By Mark Bell
MJCherry wrote "I will look at that, thank you. I thought about adding the molding (skirting) but you won't see it in the final shot, which will be something like this:"

okay makes sense now - no need for the skirting given the scene. Also check the overhead cupboard door alignment-

032920a.jpg
I would also lower the intensity of the shiny layer of the floor material. A too high reflective material keeps the rays bouncing and that means more noise. If the rays die soon, they generate less noise and most probably, it will be more realistic. The reality is less shiny and less saturated than we expect.

Cheers!
Fernando
By mjcherry
Mark Bell wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:56 am
MJCherry wrote "I will look at that, thank you. I thought about adding the molding (skirting) but you won't see it in the final shot, which will be something like this:"

okay makes sense now - no need for the skirting given the scene. Also check the overhead cupboard door alignment-

032920a.jpg
Thank you!
By mjcherry
Forum Moderator wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:36 pm
I would also lower the intensity of the shiny layer of the floor material. A too high reflective material keeps the rays bouncing and that means more noise. If the rays die soon, they generate less noise and most probably, it will be more realistic. The reality is less shiny and less saturated than we expect.

Cheers!
Fernando
Fernando,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond on my thread - it means a lot! I (and I'm sure others) would love to see some updated resources and standards, all in one place, made by the folks at NextLimit. While the documentation is good from a scientific standpoint, it is difficult for the artists among us (or at least, myself) to always know what to do with it. The one big advantage, to my mind, of going with a different render engine is all the information out there to help artists realize their vision. The advantage Maxwell has is it's quality and it's general ease of use (if you know what you're doing). But some of it is simply not intuitive.

The documentation you have is good for learning the science and mechanics behind how light interacts with materials. I now understand, for example, what an index of refraction is! When I make a metal, I can look that up; however, I'm at a loss as to how to use it to create a physically correct tile, for example. Some of this is subjective, obviously. You can have shiny tiles, rough tiles, etc. But it would still be nice to have more educational resources available. It would also be great to have more standard materials created by you folks at NextLImit. I'm hoping that the collaboration with Substance will yield this.

Also, if certain values are too much for Maxwell because they go beyond real world values, could we have a built in limiter option under general material settings? I envision a tick box when, if checked (the default) no value would go above 240 (or whatever you think it should be) and reflections would be controlled to real world standards. Is this possible? If so, it would be a great help.
By Mark Bell
MjCherry wrote "....could we have a built in limiter option under general material settings? "

I agree with this as per an earlier post here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45604

Even if it is a text flyout message showing min/max values for each particular setting that are based on expected real world values, it can be used as a guide and prevent incorrect values being used.

"It would also be great to have more standard materials created by you folks at NextLImit." - another good idea worth implementing.

Thanks.
Hello.
Thank you for your suggestions!

I will try to put together some useful information for beginners about standards and good practice.

I will raise the rest of the matters in our meeting with the team. Regarding the "limiter" I find it hard to implement, however, and inline help or tips which explain each option and/or give typical values sounds very doable.

Cheers!
Fernando
By Nasok
That'd be cool to have - it could be a series of pop-ups .. like you know, similar to "software tour" when you open software for the first time it guides you and provide pop-up tooltips on different parts or of. Which you can enable in preferences if you're just starting out or disable if you don't need that. Could be like a coach mode - could be super useful for any of us - and not just for the materials but for other things too - I would even appreciate more of a "core principle behind certain features" - to better understand intention from developers - what was it done for and how it works - so we could understand how else we can use it.

Good stuff!
Stay safe everyone!

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]