Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Nasok
mjcherry wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:59 pm
The V-Ray converter is very cool. Is there going to be any support for Substance? Yes, I know, just plug in the maps, but I've done exhaustive work on that and they just don't render the same. With a TON of work I can sometimes get close, but it's kind of ridiculous. With Renderman or Arnold, I get the desired result in moments.

The second question I have is if any of this GPU stuff will be applicable to me since we run all Macs? Most of my scenes utilize a lot of small lights so CPU would probably be the best bet anyway, that said, I'd love to know how I could take advantage of faster GPU rendering.
Hey ya, I've created a little preset for myself (for substance export settings) - nothing too crazy, let me know if interested - I'll send you the file.
Also, I've put a few videos online on this subject (working with textures from substance painter in maxwell) - check those out, again no rocket science or greater discovery just some simple principles - but they do illustrate a pretty simple and straightforward workflow (at least for fairly basic materials)

Cheers,
Tim.
By Kevin Sauvageau
Nasok wrote: Hey ya, I've created a little preset for myself (for substance export settings) - nothing too crazy, let me know if interested - I'll send you the file.
Also, I've put a few videos online on this subject (working with textures from substance painter in maxwell) - check those out, again no rocket science or greater discovery just some simple principles - but they do illustrate a pretty simple and straightforward workflow (at least for fairly basic materials)

Cheers,
Tim.
I would love to see what you did with that preset! Thanks!
By Nasok
@Kevin - Hey ya, here is the preset, I assume you know whereto put it :)
Maxwell Render.spexp.zip
Again nothing too crazy there - just a combination of export maps (and their types) that I found useful for my personal workflow :)

Btw, here is a Substance to Maxwell - thread on this forum - where I post my progress and my experiments with textures, some useful tools, assets and other stuff.
🙌🏼
Cheers,
Tim.

Edit: Oh, just a quick tip - if your normal map gives you weird artefacts it is most likely due to bit depth - that's why I suggest exporting normal map in 16 bit (something like "tiff" would do) - you'll see the difference. 🧐
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By mjcherry
Hi Nasok!

I'll give it a go, where do you put the .spexp file? I've done some pretty extensive testing with substance and render man as well and the real issue (for me) seems to be the way Maxwell reads (or substance writes) the greyscale maps (metallic, for example).
By Nasok
Hey man :)
Place it in Documents / Allegorithmic / Substance Painter / shelf / export-presets - and it will appear in export preset tab :)
I totally agree with you, also watch-out for your normal maps.
I think there is nothing wrong with Substance maps - since they work pretty fine in Arnold (for example) - it's just the way Maxwell interprets the texture data. My guess. But since Substance is PBR and Maxwell is unbiased - it is kinda normal behaviour ... practically - what I would suggest is exporting your data maps (pretty much every map where color is used for data rather than direct representation, i.e, - bump, metallic, normal, roughness, mask, AO, curvature, thickness etc) in 16 bit - and once you're in Maxwell - add a little contrast to the map itself.
That's not ideal, but that is quick workaround that I'm using. Also greyscale maps don't have colour profile assigned to them (in most cases) .. and since Maxwell completely ignores linear / non linear working spaces in Maya it's hard to say whether it is an issue or not.

regarding normal maps - 8 bit normal maps are fine for Maxwell - but if you export 8 bit normal map from Substance painter - then well no - from substance painter only 16 bit. 🤷‍♀️

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]