Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By bobross
It is still in the documentation https://nextlimitsupport.atlassian.net/ ... hwell+Test

However, under tools drop down it does not appear. It would be nice to have a scene that can work well with CPU and scale with GPU so we can get a sense of CPU vs. 1-4X GPU improvements.

2x1080 GPU
SL 25
100% complete @ 37 minutes:

36x CPU
SL 14.72
1% complete 37 minutes 42 hours remaining:

2x1080 GPU
SL 25
100% complete @ 1h 6m minutes:

36x CPU
SL 22.38
?% complete 1h 6m minutes 2 hours 46min remaining:

Scene credit / source from https://rayflectar.com/p05-Misc/misc.html
By bobross
On a side note does anyone know why the gold ring looks like different colors? GPU looks like gold and CPU looks more yellow... Same exact scene file.
By lebulb
With a gif it's more easy to compare : (but just 256 colors...)
there is also a small difference with the normal map, or the light on it.

By T0M0
I tested the scene with rings (not using IOR files) on 5x GTX 1060,
but what I noticed that CPU Core i7 3930K (6core, 12threads) had constantly 50% usage.
By luis.hijarrubia
T0M0 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:26 pm
I tested the scene with rings (not using IOR files) on 5x GTX 1060,
but what I noticed that CPU Core i7 3930K (6core, 12threads) had constantly 50% usage.
Seems right. 1 cpu thread per GPU making the merges, so 5 threads, and 1 general thread for application. 6 of 12 threads.
By Forum Moderator
In relation to the Benchwell, we are looking for a good scene that fits this purpose.
It shouldn't require more than 1GB of RAM during the render and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes on a medium-good CPU. Also, it shouldn't take seconds with 4 GPUs.

If you wish to contribute with a scene, please, let me know; you'll be more than welcome.

Kind regards,
Fernando
By dmeyer
Forum Moderator wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:29 pm
In relation to the Benchwell, we are looking for a good scene that fits this purpose.
It shouldn't require more than 1GB of RAM during the render and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes on a medium-good CPU. Also, it shouldn't take seconds with 4 GPUs.

If you wish to contribute with a scene, please, let me know; you'll be more than welcome.

Kind regards,
Fernando
If redoing benchwell, can I make a suggestion?

A benchmark scene or app will have a lot longer life if you make it a consistent duration test rather than a consistent task test.

So concoct a benchmark that takes a given amount of time to run on ALL hardware, and measure the samples achieved or some other metric.

Benchmarks that go the opposite direction tend to be obsoleted quickly as hard ware improves and the completion times get too short to show performance differences.
By T0M0
Just idea for benchwell scene:
Maxwell is known for visually stunning raw results, so why don't take advantage of that and where other renderers lacks - caustics, dielectrics,depth of field, sss,...
The bechmark scene have to show Maxwell's "muscles", viewer should be astonished by the result which is rendering in front of him.
Previous scene for benchwell - the teapot, was at least for me visually boring and flat.

And if you could make it as a standalone portable application it could be huge plus, because definitely more people would test it.
By Forum Moderator
dmeyer wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 pm
So concoct a benchmark that takes a given amount of time to run on ALL hardware, and measure the samples achieved or some other metric.
Hmm, I like that.
Maxwell is known for visually stunning raw results, so why don't take advantage of that and where other renderers lack - caustics, dielectrics, depth of field, sss,...
The bechmark scene has to show Maxwell's "muscles", viewer should be astonished by the result which is rendering in front of him.
And also like that.

We are thinking about having more than one scene. For CPU, for GPU or for both.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]