Everything related to Maxwell Render and General Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories
By gloomer
The forum is cleaned totally, but some of us still remember:
By djiin
Hi there,

I've just checked the new features, I'm a little bit disappointed.

GPU mode: no SSS,no DISPERSION, no COATINGS, no PROCEDURAL TEXTURES, no MULTILIGHT, No REFRACTED CAUSTICS, no HIDDEN TO REFLECTION/REFRACTION, no HIDDEN TO GI, etc...

looks like v4 history is repeating over and over, please tell me I'm wrong.

s.
By PA3K
Visual (physically correct) aspect of image wasn`t enhanced since V3. Now GPU is much faster, but without CPU features. If all features will be implemented to GPU engine (if - because other engines have the same problem - to port all CPU features to GPU engine), it will probably slower it down little bit.
Also they state "Kepler architecture is not supported but cards based on it could work." Could or could not ... who knows without trying it first. My laptop Asus ROG 750JZ has Nvidia 880m Kepler based card. This GPU worked and rendered fine with Maxwell V4 Sudio, but always crashed Rhinoceros 6 with unfinished plugin.
So now it will be Maxwell upgrade price + new hardware (laptop or computer) = at least 1500 EUR.
I know that NL promised and advertised GPU features with Maxwellrender 4. All this was already heavily discussed in other topics. It is more about ethic and company philosophy. I know NL can sell what they want and we are free to buy it or not, but nowadays it is something that differentiate good company from others.
It was similar situation in some aspects when Maxwell 1 was delayed. But NL behaved in opposite (really good) way at that time. With exuses and compensations to existing customers. Times has changed since then. Not only rendering times ...
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]