Everything related to the integration for Rhinoceros.
By greengreen
a few issues I see;
1) Does not load maxwell materials or other maxwell settings from Rhino 5 file that was running Maxwell 3. Should have backwards compatibility. It would be useful to be able to copy objects from an older project into a new project and not have to re-texture and re-apply materials.
2) There is no HDRI option. Also, I would sometimes use HDRI background and sun illumination. This does not appear to be an option currently
3) Rhino freezes after leaving it in a good state, and coming to this forum, and looking back at it. I suspect it is Maxwell freezing Rhino

a question;
When will a stable fully functional release be completed? This seems to be a beta, it does not have full Maxwell Render functionality (although it is being sold at full price)
I have a lot of work to get done and I don't have time to troubleshoot something that may or may not work. I don't see any benefit to using this, just downsides.
I may have to keep using Maxwell 3 until it is better improved.

Thank you
By Forum Moderator
Thank you Patrick,

We have just found out that this is related to Microsoft Redistributable files. Windows didn't let me install Redistributable 2015 (14.0) because 2017 were already installed (14.1), so I uninstalled 2017 and then installed 2015 and it started to work. It's odd, as 2017 shouldn't remove functionality from 2015, but...
We'll try to have a working version as soon as possible.

@greengreen
Thanks for your comments; I'll answer in between them.
greengreen wrote:a few issues I see;
1) Does not load maxwell materials or other maxwell settings from Rhino 5 file that was running Maxwell 3. Should have backwards compatibility. It would be useful to be able to copy objects from an older project into a new project and not have to re-texture and re-apply materials.
I understand the problems this may generate; it is not a Maxwell 3 - Maxwell 4 problem but a structural difference between the plugin for Rhino 5 and the plugin for Rhino 6. Actually you have basically the same plugin for Maxwell 4 (Rhino 5) as in Maxwell 3, it's only the plugin for Rhino 6 that changes. Currently, the plugin for Rhino 6 doesn't have an integrated material editor, so the compatibility is not possible; at the moment you can only assign referenced mxm or native Rhino materials. All Rhino procedural textures are translated too. Anyway we'll think about how to make the transition easier for the users.
2) There is no HDRI option. Also, I would sometimes use HDRI background and sun illumination. This does not appear to be an option currently
This is currently working in Maxwell environment. Just set Type to "Image Based" and you'll find the full set of options there. You can combine sun and hdri without problems.
3) Rhino freezes after leaving it in a good state, and coming to this forum, and looking back at it. I suspect it is Maxwell freezing Rhino
Could that have something to do with having left Fire running? Currently, it tends to make everything slow. We are trying to make it lighter.
a question;
When will a stable fully functional release be completed? This seems to be a beta, it does not have full Maxwell Render functionality (although it is being sold at full price)
I have a lot of work to get done and I don't have time to troubleshoot something that may or may not work. I don't see any benefit to using this, just downsides.
This is the first version of a fully rebuilt plugin. It is not yet complete; for the moment it has only the basics and it's structured in a different and more integrated way that hopefully will make easier to have its Mac twin when Rhino 6 is available and will have a better support for third party plugins. The plugin you are using in Maxwell 3 is also available in Maxwell 4, but only for Rhino 5 (due to some technical problems it was not possible to make it work in Rhino 6).
Thank you
Thanks to you!
By Forum Moderator
greengreen wrote:Activating the license crashes Rhino Version 6 SR15
Thanks for the feedback!

That's a bit odd. At which point does it crash? When coming back to Rhino from the License Activator? Was Fire running by any chance?

Best,
Fernando
By Forum Moderator
Hello,

We have just uploaded a new version of the plugin for Rhino 6. The problem with Windows 7 and 8.1 is not fixed yet, but there are many other fixes and improvements. Please, use it if you are on Windows 10.
Here are the release notes: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45417&p=398302#p398302

I hope it solves many of the issues you mention, especially with existing scenes.

Best,
Fernando
By Forum Moderator
Hello,

We've got a solution ready for the problem with Windows 7 and 8, but we are trying to fix one licensing problem before making it public. In the meantime, here you will find a couple of files that should fix it; after installing the latest version (4.2.6.1), please, download these files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vz8eK ... sskX8GTUUS
Then unzip them and copy them to this folder: C:\Program Files\Next Limit\Maxwell Render 4\extensions-x64-v140
You will have to overwrite the existing ones (or copy the old files in a different folder).
After that, it should work.

Best,
Fernando
By PA3K
Hi Fernando,

I did it Your way. It works to the point when I am trying to change perspective FIRE window from CPU Draft to GPU. It crashes Rhinoceros.
Before I licensed mw4 (when exported scene from rhino to render) I got error message in perspective FIRE window that this version is not licensed to use GPU (or something like that).

I also have the problem described here viewtopic.php?f=140&t=45322 .
I want to use maxwellrender 3 till this Rhino 6 plugin will be production ready. Could You PLEASE check also this problem ?

Patrik
By PA3K
Hi Fernando,

I noticed few things in new released plugin.
1. Changing Engine in Fire Settings to GPU and then trying to changing perspective window to Maxwell Fire crashes Rhinoceros 6 (laptop GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M Kepler)
2. Different default render settings in compare with MWR3 in Rhinoceros 4 and different look of rendered image even with the same settings.

Patrik
By greengreen
Forum Moderator wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 am
greengreen wrote:Activating the license crashes Rhino Version 6 SR15
Thanks for the feedback!

That's a bit odd. At which point does it crash? When coming back to Rhino from the License Activator? Was Fire running by any chance?

Best,
Fernando
I'm sorry, I don't recall now, but it is working now
By greengreen
Forum Moderator wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm

@greengreen
Thanks for your comments; I'll answer in between them.
greengreen wrote:a few issues I see;
I understand the problems this may generate; it is not a Maxwell 3 - Maxwell 4 problem but a structural difference between the plugin for Rhino 5 and the plugin for Rhino 6. Actually you have basically the same plugin for Maxwell 4 (Rhino 5) as in Maxwell 3, it's only the plugin for Rhino 6 that changes. Currently, the plugin for Rhino 6 doesn't have an integrated material editor, so the compatibility is not possible; at the moment you can only assign referenced mxm or native Rhino materials. All Rhino procedural textures are translated too. Anyway we'll think about how to make the transition easier for the users.
This is currently working in Maxwell environment. Just set Type to "Image Based" and you'll find the full set of options there. You can combine sun and hdri without problems.
Could that have something to do with having left Fire running? Currently, it tends to make everything slow. We are trying to make it lighter.
a question;
This is the first version of a fully rebuilt plugin. It is not yet complete; for the moment it has only the basics and it's structured in a different and more integrated way that hopefully will make easier to have its Mac twin when Rhino 6 is available and will have a better support for third party plugins. The plugin you are using in Maxwell 3 is also available in Maxwell 4, but only for Rhino 5 (due to some technical problems it was not possible to make it work in Rhino 6).
Thank you
Thanks to you!
Thank you for looking into each of my issues. Licensing seems to be okay now.

I see the HDRI and sky option, although switching Illumination to Sky immediately crashed Rhino. It was a file with only a simple box on a plane. So a very simple file. I have always like both Rhino and Maxwell for their stability, I hope this is just due to the plug-in's early status.

As for reading the V3 materials this is great! Only it does not read them completely, it seems to have brought in one of the image layers, but it lost the transparency layer of the material. See the image below, you can see why I might not want to rebuilt my entire library of files like this one. I have spent a lot of time on them already. It seems like the material does not come in as a maxwell material? I am still getting used to V4 so forgive me if I missed something. Is this because the material editor is not yet integrated?

By Forum Moderator
PA3K wrote:Hi Fernando,

I noticed few things in new released plugin.
1. Changing Engine in Fire Settings to GPU and then trying to changing perspective window to Maxwell Fire crashes Rhinoceros 6 (laptop GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M Kepler)
2. Different default render settings in compare with MWR3 in Rhinoceros 4 and different look of rendered image even with the same settings.
Patrik
Hello Patrik,

Regarding #1, it's true I see some instability when changing to to GPU; your Kepler card is not supported, but it shouldn't crash in that case.

Regarding #2, that's something we have observed and found the reason. It looks like when you bring a file made in Rhino 5 into Rhino 6, this sets the gamma to 1 instead of 2.2, which is the default option in new scenes. That value affects several things, not only Fire, but Rendered view or material preview. You can change it in Rendering tab when it is set to Rhino Render and then go down till you find Dithering and Color Adjustment section; you will find Gamma parameter there. Just set it to 2.2 and everything will start to look normal.

Cheers!
Fernando
By Forum Moderator
greengreen wrote:I see the HDRI and sky option, although switching Illumination to Sky immediately crashed Rhino. It was a file with only a simple box on a plane. So a very simple file. I have always like both Rhino and Maxwell for their stability, I hope this is just due to the plug-in's early status.
I'm trying but cannot reproduce it here; I guess you are using the latest version right? It is 4.2.6.2
greengreen wrote:As for reading the V3 materials this is great! Only it does not read them completely, it seems to have brought in one of the image layers, but it lost the transparency layer of the material. See the image below, you can see why I might not want to rebuilt my entire library of files like this one. I have spent a lot of time on them already. It seems like the material does not come in as a maxwell material? I am still getting used to V4 so forgive me if I missed something. Is this because the material editor is not yet integrated?
When we add the integrated material editor we'll try to look into this. If I'm not wrong (Márton could tell better than me in this regard) in the current plugin for Rhino 6 there's no place where to put all the details of the Maxwell material unless we extracted all the materials of the scene to mxm and link them through referenced materials, but that looks like a too convoluted solution to make it permanent or to invest much effort in it. In my opinion, it's better to focus on having an integrated editor and then we should be able to translate the scenes from R5 to R6.

Kind regards,
Fernando
By osuire
I installed the latest update : 4.2.6.2
Now Rhino takes ages to open. The splashscreen stays stuck at "Loading Maxwell plugin" for a long, long time ; typically over 3 minutes !
By Jasper Nöllner
@osuire, also running v4.2.6.2 here and am not experiencing your problem. Rhino 6 opens normally. Maybe a conflict with other plugins you have?
By Marton Day8
@osuire, my question is, what happens after 3 minutes? Does the plugin work or not?

NOTE1
I had some good progress in opening V5 scenes with V5 Maxwell data converted to V6 plugin. It is currently only for the implemented features (cameras/environment/render setting/objects), but later I will try to do this for the upcoming features like inbuilt Maxwell Material editor.

NOTE2
In case you find reproducible bugs in V6, please link the scene file (if possible) where we can reproduce it easily.

Márton

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]