Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By mjcherry
Every time I use the Fire window, Maya crashes. I love the results I get with Maxwell, I really do, but I'm going to test one of my scenes by rendering in Arnold I think or Maybe Octane... I don't know but waiting for simple fixes to Maxwell is becoming ridiculous. Has anyone figured out a cure for this???
I do have fire crash sometime in 3Dmax as well, Fire have a lot of problems and I almost not using it, in most cases it is much faster to do render production in low res.
I was asked NL to fix fire several times but same problems is still there.... sad . I am very dissapointed in progammers nowadays for instance 3d max is in the market from around 1991 and it is just a big bug.

is it a really big deal to make it work as it should from the begining????and why some staff was working good but not any more, it is not progress it is total regress!!!
By Nasok
That's interesting. I mean - majority of IPRs are pretty unstable to say at least :)
In my case - I don't have such issues with FIRE, to be honest. It does crashes sometimes, but Arnold does it too.
Every IPR .. and well, render engine, has its bottlenecks, which when reached - software doesn't know how to behave (or not enough of resources, etc) so it crashes or hangs.
So this is just something to keep in mind before you push the preview button (read: FIRE) - for instance FIRE doesn't really like a displacement, or when you constantly adding / deleting the objects. Or when adding / removing lights. Fire is good for working with geometry / lights that you already have. Like tweaking the intensity, changing the colour, material properties and so on.

I'm in Maya on iMac Pro - and everything works pretty fine here so far. Maybe it's not the Maxwell, but rather some of those naughty "dlls" that windows is famous for :))
By CDRDA
When I first bought into Maxwell from v3.0, I had followed the development from v2.x whilst deciding to take the plunge and change render engine or not... Updates and point releases as far as I can remember were always released quite some time apart from each other. I think we were all a bit spoilt when v3 was released, as the updates seemed to be aplenty and issues were addressed in good time, especially with the plugin updates. With the v4 release, which was obviously rushed out before completion, updates are taking their time. I think because of the devs having to play catch up from the very start. Perhaps developing the GPU engine has been the main reason for this.

This of course doesn't help the fact that there is something very broken if FIRE is crashing the 3D program it is running in on a regular basis. I have noticed a huge increase in SketchUP crashes when running FIRE, but only if I do something else while it is rendering. There are some other bugs I have reported some months ago that have also not been addressed, so I don't know what is going to happen when the new version of SketchUP ships in the next month or two... How long will it be before the Maxwell plugin is made compatible???

I get the feeling that the Maxwell team is understaffed and NL are not doing anything about it for some reason. If they are rushed and pressured into a release, then it is normal to expect errors and therefore bugs. Ultimately, I would place blame with the corporate side of NL rather than the programmers of Maxwell Render, as I am sure they are working the hardest they can given the circumstances.

I really hope they get there with the GPU engine being fully fledged out and all the other issues and problems across the board that people are experiencing. Again, that doesn't help those who are having critical issues on a daily basis in a production environment. If you do decide to move away from Maxwell, that is understandable, but hopefully you return to it once everything has been ironed out. For myself, I intend to stick with Maxwell for the time being, as I am not experiencing the same crazy situation of constant crashes- unless I use Maxwell Studio that is. I am however looking into using Unreal Engine 4 for more than just movies/walk throughs etc, plus FStorm Render looks great as a GPU solution, but shame it is only a 3DS Max plugin!

Last word- At least we are not on a monthly/yearly subscription like so many other programs are these days!
By choo-chee
I used to have a problem with this. I've noticed 2 main reasons for FIRE crashing:
1. if you try to use displacement - FIRE is very slow and may crash MAYA
2. if you have filenames that have non-standard characters (like Hebrew in my case) - probably you'll crash
p.s. - don't use the GPU for FIRE. I use FIRE only for simple tests like setting sun directions on a simple, small part of the scene.
In 3d max fire has an issue with the lights, when you move the light it put it in 0.0.0 position and you need to hit fire button again to see the correct result, but it works good with displacement, as well it works bad and slow on the beginning with 2 CPUs with more then 80cores, it use 50% on the start and after 1-2min 100%
By mjcherry
Nasok wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:16 am
I'm in Maya on iMac Pro - and everything works pretty fine here so far. Maybe it's not the Maxwell, but rather some of those naughty "dlls" that windows is famous for :))
I am also running a maxed out iMac Pro. I'm running 10.13.6
By mjcherry
It's happening all the time. I just started building on the same asset in Arnold. Not a fan of the workflow but not a single crash. At this point, honestly, Maxwell is nearly worthless to me if I have to do a million renders just to adjust a fucking light.
mjcherry wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm
Nasok wrote:
Hi guys

I am concidering a maxed out iMac Pro. What kind of benchwell score does it have?

Thanks
Anders
By choo-chee
mjcherry wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:33 am
It's happening all the time. I just started building on the same asset in Arnold. Not a fan of the workflow but not a single crash. At this point, honestly, Maxwell is nearly worthless to me if I have to do a million renders just to adjust a fucking light.
also make sure that maxwell render settings (in maya) points to folders with missing textures (sometimes fire crashed maya instead of prompting about missing textures), also consider using a common temp folder (not project folder).... maybe it will help.
By Nasok
Anders Peter Amsnæs wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 pm
mjcherry wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm
Nasok wrote:
Hi guys

I am concidering a maxed out iMac Pro. What kind of benchwell score does it have?

Thanks
Anders
Hey Anders, not sure about the benchwell score. Never had a chance to do it. But computer is pretty responsive and feels like a good bump from a Mac Pro (cylinder).
Feels like that it is faster in rendering .. but can't say for sure as I'm optimising my scenes (geometry, textures, materials) pretty heavily (old habit) ..
oh, here's the benchwell results ... decided to start while I was writing this post.
Screenshot 2018-11-05 at 11.40.52 AM.png
it didn't show the time, but it was 4:53 :)

P.S. - had other apps running during it (Like After Effects, Photoshop and others)

Cheers,
Tim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]