Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By LadleSky10
Hi,

Thought I'd ask a question about the RLM Host computer. I've been wanting to re-configure my whole setup for some time now but have been reluctant to do so because I'm going to loose one of the installs on my floating license --it would be so great if we could manage licenses from the Portal (e.g. de-activating machines, returning licenses to the server temporarily, etc.)

Basically, I want to host the RLM on a low power inconspicuous always on computer that all the other computers on my network can access. Ideally a NAS drive would have been a good choice but Support says that's not possible as the RLM needs to be hosted on an actual computer with a MAC address, etc. However, Support did suggest that I might try the Raspberry Pi as a Host. (Note: I'm only planning to install the RLM on it, not Maxwell.)

I thought that was a great idea so I got the Pi (latest version) and set it up, installed the RLM as per the Linux instructions. The install went as expected but the RLM doesn't run. Logs indicate that it's some kind of incompatible architecture error (ARM64 or something). So, I tried again using a 64-bit version of Linux on the Pi. Again, the same error.

My question is: what are you using as a Host for the RLM (floating license users out there)?

I'm not keen on an always on bulky server machine (or any old loud bulky computer). The Pi would be excellent for something like this but that seems a no go --unless the issue is some kind of additional packet that needs to be installed. Anyone else using the Raspberry Pi? I've been thinking next I might try a Minix Neo or perhaps the Mac Mini when Apple updates it. But, then, I think maybe the RLM will not run on those either.

Anyone out there using the Mac Mini as a server or the Minix Neo. Will it install on these small box systems? Would the RLM even install without Maxwell? And lastly, can version 3 and version 4 run together under the license (not simultaneously of course)? --this one's really just a curiosity question rather than something I'm committed to. (I see so many people having issues and I often wonder why not just use version 3 for critical and wait until version 4 is more stable.)

Thanks for your feedback!
By dmeyer
We are using the smallest windows 7 virtual machine instance you can imagine. 4GB ram. You can run RLM on just about anything.
By LadleSky10
Hi,
That's exactly why I was so excited about the Raspberry Pi as an option! The new Pi's have more than enough memory and disk space. Not really sure what the ARM64 error message is about --I'm a Linux noob so it could simply be some packet that needs to be installed before the RLM will run on it. But, I did get it installed so that's a good start.

Thanks for the response and the tip about a virtual machine. If my memory is correct, I believe support informed me that I would need to change my license type to use a virtual machine setup; I didn't want to do that.

It would be great to hear what other users are doing too. Definitely interested in hearing from the tech guys regarding the Raspberry Pi setup. :)
By dmeyer
LadleSky10 wrote:Hi,
That's exactly why I was so excited about the Raspberry Pi as an option! The new Pi's have more than enough memory and disk space. Not really sure what the ARM64 error message is about --I'm a Linux noob so it could simply be some packet that needs to be installed before the RLM will run on it. But, I did get it installed so that's a good start.

Thanks for the response and the tip about a virtual machine. If my memory is correct, I believe support informed me that I would need to change my license type to use a virtual machine setup; I didn't want to do that.

It would be great to hear what other users are doing too. Definitely interested in hearing from the tech guys regarding the Raspberry Pi setup. :)
Yes, you need an addition to your license to enable it to run in a virtual machine, but it is not a big deal. It is just an additional few text lines enabling VM support. You can easily revert to without it if something goes wrong. I have no idea if RLM runs on Pi but i can tell you that we run over 800 licenses across 6 different vendor daemons on one RLM instance - all on a lowly 4 core 4GB Win7 instance. So it is a very robust licensing system.
By LadleSky10
Thanks!

I hadn't realized it was such a simple change. I'll definitely add a virtual machine to my list of options here then. Thanks!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]