Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Eduardo G
Mihai wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 pm
But for any single threaded task it's not that great, right?
For single threaded tasks the Threadripper platform suffers a bit from the slightly lower clock speeds, when compared with some Intel CPU's. But most Xeon's are much slower than any Threadripper on single thread. If you want a fast single thread machine go for an intel 8700k...obviously it's a 6 core CPU, very limited for rendering when compared with the 1950X.
By Eduardo G
arcmos wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:23 pm
@Eduardo G

Can you give us some more specs of your rendernode(s) with the 1950X?

RAM, Mainboard, cooling etc.
Sure:
Motherboard -ASUS PRIME X399-A
RAM - 128GB KIT Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz
Cooling - Water Cooler CPU Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2

Don't forget that with the Treadripper you can't go higher than 128GB of RAM. If you need more (or plan to) you'll have to go for a AMD EPYC or an Intel Xeon.
By fi3er
@dmeyer

very informative presentation regarding hardware on the MaxwellRenderTV channel, thanks so much for taking the time!

question 1: are the reference prices that you are indicating including VAT? The i9 system you are presenting shows $4990... I'd like to get an idea on how the US market compares to the UK one, as I just bought similar i9 setup (but featuring 128gb ram) for £5k including VAT...

question 2: on the above i9 system, overclocked to 4.0Ghz, rampage VI motherboard, with h110i cooler, the temperatures are reaching 99 deg Celsius. I expect thats too high to have going on for 12hrs overnight renders right? What do you reckon the safe max temps are?

thanks a lot

D
By Artistus
fi3er wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm
question 2: on the above i9 system, overclocked to 4.0Ghz, rampage VI motherboard, with h110i cooler, the temperatures are reaching 99 deg Celsius. I expect thats too high to have going on for 12hrs overnight renders right? What do you reckon the safe max temps are?
99 deg Celsius is 1 deg from water boiling. It's absolutely too high. On the ark.intel.com there is a paramemter Tjunction = 94-99°C for latest CPUs. "Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die." But on previous CPU line, which is discontinued, there was Tcase parameter which was much much lower. I'd say that for long term work you should have temperatures not higher that 80°C.

Please, check the ventilation of your chassis, if there are not air bubbles in thermal interface between h110i water block and your CPU lid, if water block is mounted properly and reliably, as well it can simply occur that this CPU is too much to be overclocked for this cooler. As well there can be the reason not that much in the cooler, which has too weak cooling capability for this monster, but the reason can be Intel, which beginning from Ivy Bridge CPU architecture puts not solder, but regular thermal grease snot under the lid of it's consumer grade CPUs. Only server grade CPUs from Intel have solder between lid and silicon, unlike AMD's CPUs which all still have solder under the hood for better thermoconductivity. Indeed, you can be infuriated by these issues with thermoconductivity of the interface under the lid in consumer Intel CPUs, especially regarding the money for such CPU, but it is the fact widely known in computer world especially among overclockers. That's why they often do delid of the CPU and loose warranty instantly. So they put water block directly on die of the CPU (replacing old thermal grease by new one, of course). And sometimes CPU occurs dead after delid procedure.
By dmeyer
fi3er wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm
@dmeyer

very informative presentation regarding hardware on the MaxwellRenderTV channel, thanks so much for taking the time!

question 1: are the reference prices that you are indicating including VAT? The i9 system you are presenting shows $4990... I'd like to get an idea on how the US market compares to the UK one, as I just bought similar i9 setup (but featuring 128gb ram) for £5k including VAT...

thanks a lot

D
#1: The prices i quoted were US online retail prices at the time I put the spec together.

#2 Yes, 99 is way too hot, and an h110i should have no problem cooling that CPU at 4.0 Ghz with even mediocre case airflow. I suspect the thermal interface is not applied appropriately. I aim to keep CPU's at 79 C or below.
By dmeyer
arcmos wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 pm
@dmeyer
Thank's for the great hardware infos in the Maxwell TV episode 2.

You guys have some great "toys" to play with. About your renderfarm, how much RAM you usually put in these things? You've mentioned Dell PowerEdge servers.
Our basic nodes use 32 GB memory. We do have some that are higher for certain cases where more is needed, but for our work we find 32 to be sufficient for vast majority of jobs. Plus, memory prices are very high right now.
By dmeyer
Ram Speed Test on Threadripper:

Using Benchwell with all render channels turned off and priority normal

2933 Mhz: 2:41
2133 Mhz: 2:49
By Eric Nixon 20170610100005
I was slightly involved / had access to the original scene used for benchwell, I am suspicious of it as a benchmark compared to larger scenes, mainly because that teapot uses several huge ptex texture maps, Maps like that with a gazillion fragments can often have a negative effect on the benchmark number and probably the render time also, (not only p-tex but any huge map with tiny fragments in my experience, some maps were worse than others though).

Hmmm, how much this changes the numbers will depend on the cpu caches + memory bandwidth

Wish I could say somehing more helpful, and this is only my hunch.

Also Cinebench is not pushing these fast machines hard enough to be reliable either....

Still appreciate the tests though, thanks. Especially for comparisons, say the 2699v4 vs xeon expensive metal name whatever thingy.
By Eduardo G
dmeyer wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Are you filling all RAM slots? How much RAM are you using? Is it stable at the higher speed (2933 MHz)? In our tests if you fill all the 8 slots (128GB of RAM) we couldn't go higher than 2400 MHz. Anything above would get unstable.
By dmeyer
Eduardo G wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:07 pm
dmeyer wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Are you filling all RAM slots? How much RAM are you using? Is it stable at the higher speed (2933 MHz)? In our tests if you fill all the 8 slots (128GB of RAM) we couldn't go higher than 2400 MHz. Anything above would get unstable.
This is with 4 sticks x 8GB per. Corsair 2933mhz Vengeance.
By JDHill
Building a new machine for a friend, i7-8700K undervolted (it's in a Node 202):

Benchwell 4.2.0.3: 5m 37s, bench 829.99
Cinebench R15: 1560 cb
By Dmitriy Berdnichenko
Hello, i did some test for 2x Gold 6130 and seams like maxwell benchwell has some problem with new Xeon processors like Platinum or Gold.
But when you render actual scene it works well. When i render my project on 2x Xeon e5 2695 v2 it get around 900-1100 bench and on Gold 6130 it get around 2200-2450 bench.

2x Xeon Gold 6130
Benchwell 4.1.1.3 - 6:45 min bench 640 ??? ( 2x e5 2695 v2 - 1290 bench)
Vray - 30 sec
Cinebench - 4350 cb
Corona - 36 to 44 sec (11 600 000 rays)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]