Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Steve Jepson
We need Maxwell to display properly on at least 4K screens. Is product development working on that ?
By dmeyer
I havent tested it on hiDPI displays yet but if the support is not there it needs to be.
By Eric Nixon 20170610100005
hiDPi makes no sense for graphic artists, (who need to see pixels) , so why support it? And what about 3d modelling, its useful to spot a 45 deg line by the aliasing, or a 30 deg line, pixels are useful godammit ;)
By dmeyer
Eric Nixon 20170610100005 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 pm
hiDPi makes no sense for graphic artists, (who need to see pixels) , so why support it? And what about 3d modelling, its useful to spot a 45 deg line by the aliasing, or a 30 deg line, pixels are useful godammit ;)
You "need to see the pixels" of the UI?

HiDPI modes preserve native resolution of the content you're working on, and only scale the UI. That is the whole point.

From a dev standpoint its about doing screen-space UI rather than pixel space, so the two aren't tied together.
By dmeyer
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:49 am
You "need to see the pixels" of the UI?

No problem here, I can see all my pixels ;) please explain the advantage of not being able to see properly?
We're all gonna laugh at you in a few years when you're running a 27" monitor at 32k resolution, with UI scaling turned off to be cool, and each icon is .5 pixels tall.
By Eric Nixon 20170610100005
I think back in the day, on the amiga, you could use the OS to scale the interface of programs, and choose fonts, its a vague memory.

My point is that ideally this sort of thing should be handled by the OS rather than burdening every software team on the planet with another mundane task.

But TBH I've got no idea how hiDPi works or if its a good system, it sounds good in theory at least.

And ofcourse my overall thought was that its much better to buy a physically huge monitor for that kind of resolution, and a bigger mousepad too... and yes a huge monitor will cost more.

One last point in case a dev reads this, please fix the ui in mxed it feels like pulling teeth to make materials, Your software used to be fun to use, quick and responsive, not any more. Its nice that the ok/cancel dialogue gives us a chance to discard the changes, but a proper undo system in mxed would be so much better for that, and so much quicker/pleasant to use.

The rub is that in C4D on my system at least (gtx670), opening mxed disables the update of the screen items underneath, so each dialogue appears to still exist after you close them, its a total headache. Its been like this for several years now. Am I the only one experiencing this?

For archviz I just stick with maxwell2
By Steve Jepson
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:33 pm
Did you buy screens that have too small pixels to see properly? Why did you do that?, maybe sell them, and buy some proper screens?
I am using a Dell 7720 Precision Mobile Workstation with 17.3" 3840x2160 Ultra High Definition IPS screen. It is a "proper screen"! The P5000 NVIDIA card it has will run (4) 4K screens or (2) 8K screens. I am considering the purchase of a Dell UltraSharp 32" 8K Monitor - UP3218K or a pair of Dell 24" Ultra HD 4K Monitors - P2415Q . Are those screens "proper" enough for you? The main program I run on this computer is ArchiCAD. It looks fantastic at 3840x2160, but like Maxwell, there are a few problems with the User Interface at 3840x2160. This will almost certainly be fixed for ArchiCAD 22. Since Maxwell wants to sell their program with an add-on for ArchiCAD, it seems to me like the Maxwell add-on will need to be compatible for use with 3840x2160 screens also. I hope they are working on that now.

This is why I am using this computer with Maxwell - I did get a couple of benchmark tests in less than 5.00 min. It's a relatively inexpensive card for speed you can get out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]