Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By CDRDA
I am finding that the denoiser (at end) is working fine sometimes and others not. I rendered for an hour at low resolution and I had a very nice denoised png file at the end of it. I render the high res version (from Studio) with the same settings, albeit with a different name for the denoised image and located in another folder. After nearly 10 hours of rendering to SL12, I have no denoised png file.

So, checking the console, there is a Denoiser error: Error running denoise process: OpenCL exception. Why would this be when I run an Nvidia Titan Black gpu? Shouldn't it be using CUDA as after all the Denoiser was set to use GPU? I'm not sure the GPU ran out of memory because the final file was 4500x3000pixels and I have successfully had a denoised image at this resolution before. I have just installed the OpenCL runtime for intel cpus to see if that will help and seems like a couple of test renders to SL6 at 1200x800 on CPU Denoiser worked fine. I do not have time to try again at the higher resolution however.

It seems I can recover the tmp files for each pass from my user temp directory, so I have copied and pasted those to another folder, but I am having no luck following the command line instructions using mximerge. I am getting an error "Cannot read/write specified files" although they each open fine in Maxwell Render and I have tried running cmd.exe as administrator. Any ideas?
Hi CDRDA,

I dont think what could have happened in your GPU. Maybe GPU memory problem is a good assumption. Anyway if you have mxis from your temp folder, mximerge should definitely get the work done. Can you post the exact command line you tried.

Unfortunately "Cannot read/write specified files" is a kind of default error message, and it does not indicates any specific problem.

The line we use to "merge and denoise" is something like this:
mximerge -folder:<mxis folder path> -coopdenoiser:<denoised image path>" -target:<destination mxi path>
By CDRDA
OK, after further testing, it seems like I had the syntax wrong, not specifying the actual mxi files to be used, just the folder location. A bit of trial and error resulted in a correct merge, thus:
mximerge -folder:"<folder path>\<SharedFileName*.mxi>" -coopdenoiser:"<Denoised image path>" -target:"<destination mxi path>\<Merged image.mxi"
However there was still an error with the Denoiser and no file was created. The error message is a little more detailed though:
maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:49:25] [INFO]: Sobreescribiendo parametro denoise 1
[INFO] [storeDataForRender] Channel render depth is 32 bits
[INFO] [storeDataForRender] Channel render depth is 32 bits
License obtained
maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:03] [INFO]: Added rgb channels to denoising process

maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:04] [INFO]: Added position channels to denoising process

maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:05] [INFO]: Added normals channels to denoising process

maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:05] [INFO]: Added reflectance channels to denoising process

QObject::connect: No such signal DenoiseThread::saveDenoise()
maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:05] [INFO]: production denoise
maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:05] [INFO]: Denoise SL 2.93889e-39 started
1st stage complete

Fatal OpenCL error CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE (-4) occured during operation 'Zero CL Buffer' in function zeroCLBuffer on line 1257

If you ran using the GPU option, you likely do not have enough dedicated video memory (see Global Mem Size when run w/ --verbose) to support filtering your an image of the size you provided.

maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:38] [ERROR]: Error running denoise process: OpenCL exception
maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:38] [INFO]: Denoise SL 2.93889e-39 finished
maxwell:[17/July/2017 13:50:38] [INFO]: -nowait flag enabled. Closing app..
I have 24GB RAM in my machine, is that not enough memory for the CPU denoiser? Hopefully this provides some helpful info.

Thanks for the help so far!
I think 24 GB of RAM is quite a lot of RAM, so I would try to use merge files with DenoiseGPU:off

The problem is that (As i have just discovered) there is no way to indicate mximerge to use a denoiseGPU option other that it has previously configured, and I guess you rendered with that option, so mximerge is not an option

But... mximerge finally calls maxwell, so there is another command line you can use for this particular case.
Code: Select all
maxwell.exe -denoise:on -firstPass:<first mxi> -secondPass:<second mxi> -denoisePath:<denoised path> 
-loadmxi:<first mxi> -denoiseGPU:off -nogui
I hope it works!
By CDRDA
Thanks for that Alberto, but unfortunately the same error occurs at stage 2 of the denoise process. I will try and experiment with other mxi files when I have the time.

Marc
By fv
On OSX, iMac 32 Gb ram I am not getting denoised images. It takes about 30 min. to finish denoising an archviz interior after render to SL10 (3600x2400) but without any other result than a pack of .exr files aside the usual images.
I am not using the denoiser anymore. A bit of a pity since it was a promising development. Especially since my interiors look a bit grainy still at SL12. It usually takes 20 hours to render these. With denoiser working it would save me a lot of time but I need to be sure of the outcome meeting deadlines in 90% of my projects.
Francois

Reading the manual again on this subject I see that denoising is not so much a matter of switching on and off. There is a lot more to handle and decisions to make when rendering an image using denoise. I will experiment further.
Hello fv,
Sorry to hear that, but maybe this issue can be solved and you can save time after all.

Which denoiser options are you using? We would appreciate a screenshot of them, along with the output of console subwindow.
Please submit a little bit more information and we will try yo help you!

Regards
By fv
tx Alberto,
as always I was just before a deadline and did not read the manual carefully.

I rerendered at a fix SL and so after reaching that MW did actually perform a denoise.

I usually set a SL of 25 at 60000 hours and quit the render at any time I wish. Denoiser does not work like that. With GPU switched on you only get a denoised image after the reached SL and not when stopping the render. I adjusted my workflow a bit to use the denoiser. But I see that you need a fair amount of SL to get a denoised image that actually looks good. I assume you need to render to a min. of SL 12 and up to get professional work denoised. Lower SL's to my taste look a bit cheap. A said, I will experiment a bit more before I give up on the denoiser.
Best Francois
By Forum Moderator
seghier wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:31 pm
i don't know if it is the same problem:
denoiser in my laptop work only when i choose Use GPU
Hi Seguier,

Try to install one of these packages in order to be able to denoise with the CPU:
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks ... g-app-sdk/
http://registrationcenter-download.inte ... _setup.msi

It will probably solve the problem.

fv wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 pm
With GPU switched on you only get a denoised image after the reached SL and not when stopping the render.
For the moment when using the GPU render engine, the Denoiser can only be launched at the end of the render, but when using the CPU engine you can work as you want. We will try to solve the problems that impeded us to implement the same workflow as with CPU.

Also, regarding the memory used when denoising the image; it usually needs a bit over double the memory used when rendering.

Best regards,
Fernando
By seghier
Forum Moderator wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:32 pm
seghier wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:31 pm
i don't know if it is the same problem:
denoiser in my laptop work only when i choose Use GPU
Hi Seguier,

Try to install one of these packages in order to be able to denoise with the CPU:
http://registrationcenter-download.inte ... _setup.msi

It will probably solve the problem.
Fernando
thanks Fernando ; i install the one from intel and it solve the problem
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]