Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Jacques
The V4 Sketchup plugin can still export mxs to V3.2.1.5 so you can stay in V3 for production. And the V4 Sketchup plugin is for now more stable than the V3.2.1.5, I've got no trouble with it for the moment...
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.
By seghier
Jacques wrote:
The V4 Sketchup plugin can still export mxs to V3.2.1.5 so you can stay in V3 for production. And the V4 Sketchup plugin is for now more stable than the V3.2.1.5, I've got no trouble with it for the moment...
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.
And you can open V4 scenes in V3
You can't export to V3 studio directly . just export mxs file
And why you don't try ?
By jwiede
Us existing customers feel very rewarded for our loyalty being charged more to upgrade our nodes than new customers are charged to buy same # of nodes.

:roll:
By numerobis
It seems that the upgrade conditions have been changed once again to the worse... Now i can only select Studio as first upgrade component for V1 or V2 licenses and combine it with one plugin, instead of combining two plugins as it was working before and as it was announced at the V4 release!!! So what will it be tomorrow NL? New day, new conditions?!? Very trustworthy... Maybe you should at least cover your tracks if you try to trick your customers since the old information ist still available and has been stored!

And why is there still no option to select 10 nodes with the V1/V2 upgrade? What's the point if the price is also cut in half? How do i upgrade my other 5 nodes? Why is there still no upgrade option for nodes? And why is it more expensive to upgrade nodes than to buy new ones in addition to a plugin?

"Upgrade one license, and get 2 new license seats - 2 x 1"

Are you kidding me, NL?!? The last upgrade was around 495€, if i remember correctly - incl. all plugins and 10 nodes! To be able to continue at least using Studio, the 3DSmax plugin, the Sketchup plugin and my 10 nodes - which is not even possible anymore with one single "upgrade" of one license - the "cheapest" "option" incl. the "discount" would be to upgrade two licenses incl. Max, Sketchup, 2x 5 nodes and 2x Studio (!?!) for 2x586,50€= 1173€!!! Really? I need to buy 2x Studio now, to be able to get my current setup at least partially (without the Rhino plugin) upgraded? Unbelievable...
So incl. the "discount" of 15% this is still an increase of ~140% for much less plugins (1 instead of 11?, 12?) and flexibility! The last mail was even telling me that this is a "bargain"! Is this mockery?

And what is your upgrade plan if i only have one V3 license but i need more than one plugin and Studio? To buy more licenses?!?
So the "cheapest" option to "upgrade" my current V3 setup would be
Upgrade 3dsmax+Rhino = 595€
+ new license for Sketchup+10 nodes = 695€+95€
+ new license for Studio = 695€

= 2080€ - from 495€ to 2080€... Really?!?

All i can say is that i'm not stupid! And if i notice that someone is trying to fool me and rip me off, i will look for alternatives! It's really sad to see all this happen after being a Maxwell customer for more than 11 years since the V1 beta. And combined with the almost non-existent development of needed features over the last years... Well done NL.

Good to see that v-ray finally gets multi platform integration for materials, proxies and nodes (and CPU+GPU rendering). The ability to combine Sketchup and 3dsmax in my workflow was one reason for me to stay with maxwell in the past. I already have a v-ray for max license and i can get the Sketchup integration for a fraction of the "upgrade" (downgrade) cost for maxwell v4. And i can save many euros on the hardware side since i don't need that much render power anymore. So maybe this will be my route... or corona...
Unbelievable.
You can use f-storm if you are on 3dsmax.

Also you forgot in your rant that the last working version of maxwell was 2.7something, where you could apply poly-selections for transparent geo's, thats been bugged eversince which makes my 100's of assets & 10's of projects in my maxwell library unrenderable. Why leave maxwell cpu in this unfinished buggy state while developing maxwell-gpu for years?

I cant reopen old files in mw2 because they now contain mw3 materials.. so I will wait to restart my cg 'career' when this maxwell cpu bug is fixed.

I think this limbo state prevents people from producing/finishing new 3Dwork, so the gallery wip has died off.

Finally the new forum looks ugly, and mw4 UI is ugly, This artist would much prefer less colour pollution on desktop. rant over.
By Forum Moderator
numerobis wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:16 pm
It seems that the upgrade conditions have been changed once again to the worse... Now i can only select Studio as first upgrade component for V1 or V2 licenses and combine it with one plugin, instead of combining two plugins as it was working before and as it was announced at the V4 release!!! So what will it be tomorrow NL? New day, new conditions?!? Very trustworthy... Maybe you should at least cover your tracks if you try to trick your customers since the old information ist still available and has been stored!
Hi Numerobis,

Conditions have not changed any time recently; you can still combine any plugin you want when upgrading, including Studio. Maybe you found a problem on the website as on Friday was the end of the campaign.
If you were trying to upgrade and couldn't do it the way you wanted due to this bugs, please contact our sales department with this information and you will probably still be able to benefit from the upgrade offer.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Fernando
By Forum Moderator
Eric Nixon 20170610100005 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm
Also you forgot in your rant that the last working version of maxwell was 2.7something, where you could apply poly-selections for transparent geo's, thats been bugged eversince...
Hi Eric,

Could you explain that problem further? I do not understand exactly what you mean.

Thanks!
Fernando
By Rafal SLEK
My two cents:
NextLimit is the only software company I know, which release so many free upgrades with new functionalities. So it was easier for me to pay higher price for upgrade to V4 without same plugin compatibility.
Of course would be nice pay less and get more...
By Forum Moderator
Could you elaborate a bit, Eric? I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

My two cents:
NextLimit is the only software company I know, which release so many free upgrades with new functionalities. So it was easier for me to pay higher price for upgrade to V4 without same plugin compatibility.
Of course would be nice pay less and get more...
Thanks, Rafal.
Its an example where one geometry has two glass materials applied, but one material is applied to a selection of polygons only. Both materials need to have the same settings that affect refracted rays, i.e. its the same glass material duplicated with a minor change, which was the mormal map in this case.

Almost all my maxwell projects and assets use this, I use it for the edges of a glass pane, various lampshades, and car headlights, to name a few.
By numerobis
Forum Moderator wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:43 am
Conditions have not changed any time recently; you can still combine any plugin you want when upgrading, including Studio. Maybe you found a problem on the website as on Friday was the end of the campaign.
So you're telling me that this was not the way it was meant to be, that i could only select Studio as first option? And no one noticed this for maybe 3 months or it was only occuring on my account? Really? (i already got this behavior right after the announcment of the termination of V1/V2 licenses and i posted this on the blog maybe 2 months ago as the forum was down). And what about the nodes? Anyway... even if i would get it incl. the Rhino plugin, i wouldn't pay 1200€ for this upgrade...
And now the V2 upgradability is gone and there is simply no upgrade option for my V3 setup. :roll:

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm
Finally the new forum looks ugly, and mw4 UI is ugly, This artist would much prefer less colour pollution on desktop. rant over.
Yes, absolutely... unbelievable "design" changes. I considered to say something about it, but then decided to stay focused on the upgrade conditions ;-)
(btw. the v-ray forum also got a facelift... well, it looks "different" :mrgreen: )

And i can't login to the forum with my old account from my laptop, only the login with my Next Limit portal data is possible. On this machine it's working ok.
By Forum Moderator
numerobis wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm
So you're telling me that this was not the way it was meant to be, that i could only select Studio as first option? And no one noticed this for maybe 3 months or it was only occuring on my account? Really? (i already got this behavior right after the announcment of the termination of V1/V2 licenses and i posted this on the blog maybe 2 months ago as the forum was down). And what about the nodes? Anyway... even if i would get it incl. the Rhino plugin, i wouldn't pay 1200€ for this upgrade...
And now the V2 upgradability is gone and there is simply no upgrade option for my V3 setup. :roll:
Yes, as far as I know (I'm not part of the sales department) the conditions for the upgrades have not changed at all apart from the discount. From my personal user account, I can choose any license in the two slots and 10 nodes.
And i can't login to the forum with my old account from my laptop, only the login with my Next Limit portal data is possible. On this machine it's working ok.
Now the forum account is associated with your user account at portal. If you want to associate a different account, please contact support.
By Forum Moderator
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 pm
Its an example where one geometry has two glass materials applied, but one material is applied to a selection of polygons only. Both materials need to have the same settings that affect refracted rays, i.e. its the same glass material duplicated with a minor change, which was the mormal map in this case.

Almost all my maxwell projects and assets use this, I use it for the edges of a glass pane, various lampshades, and car headlights, to name a few.
Hi Eric,
Please check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=140&t=44870&p=394880#p394880
By numerobis
Forum Moderator wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 pm
From my personal user account, I can choose any license in the two slots and 10 nodes.
For V1/V2 licenses you where able to choose any license in the first slot and 10 nodes? Interesting...
Now the forum account is associated with your user account at portal. If you want to associate a different account, please contact support.
So then it's only still working on this machine because of some stored cookies and when i delete them it will be the same situation on this pc?
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]