Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By luis.hijarrubia
As it's said before, here in the forum we are mostly developers. Please write your concerns about pricing or licensing to sales. It will be more useful.

Anyway. If depends of what do you compare. Octane can be cheaper, but it's only GPU engine. On the other hand arnold, have floating licenses for 1095€, more expensive than us. And it's only CPU. We are offering both CPU and GPU for our price. And also note that when you buy a V4 license, you will access to all the features and new versions on any V4.x so you will not only get what is done now. But everything we will develop from now along V4. All this is what I can personally say about maxwell. Still I'm a developer, not from sales, it's how I personally see it.
By itsallgoode9
unfortunately, you guys are the only people we really have direct contact with. :(

we are not really able to show our frustration to sales. yes, we can email them about how we're upset, then a week later we get back an email response of "Oh, we are really sorry that you are unhappy. BUT... you do know that it is a better value because you get TWO licences instead of 1 plus the benefit of GPU" ... complain enough then they'll give you a discount without actually caring about fixing the problem as long as they can placate one mouth to keep it from complaining. I've done CS for small companies before, I know how it works.

there isn't a dialogue like there is here. contacting sales, they don't care about fixing the problem, they care to get you to shut up.
By JDHill
itsallgoode9 wrote:unfortunately, you guys are the only people we really have direct contact with. :(

[...]

there isn't a dialogue like there is here.
Then, please let me respectfully suggest, however frustrated you may be, that adopting an adversarial tone here, and demanding answers to questions that we have not the the capacity to answer, may not end up being the most fruitful strategy. Talking to us here is no different than walking into the engineering room at some company's physical facility; in your old CS jobs, what would you tell a customer who you learned had been bringing sales & marketing questions/concerns directly to your engineers? It is more or less an oddity specific to the software industry that such a question can even come up at all.

And besides, if your goal is to effect change, then the question is not really whether you get the type of response you want from the sales/marketing channels; it is whether they heard your complaint, and any response at all (besides some kind of auto-response) is evidence of that. It could be that yours would be the straw that breaks the camel's back; but would it be reasonable to expect the response to indicate that? That's just not how it would work.
By numerobis
Regarding the Black Friday offer...
Offer does not include render node packs...
LOL... one of the most node dependent renderers and then you have to pay a premium price for the node licences :lol:
I think the move with v3 to include at least 10 free nodes was the right direction. And now it is the opposite again...

So if i upgrade my existing license (which included 10 free nodes) incl. 10 nodes it's not 50% discount, but only ~38% (297,50€+190€= 487,50€ instead of 495€+190€=785€)

And i still don't understand the logic behind the node price calculation...
10 nodes as upgrade = 190€
10 new nodes = 95€
What's the point? :?: Just a rip-off of old customers? Or is there some special benefit in this type of upgraded licenses that i don't understand?

And why is it not possible to select 10 nodes when i upgrade from a v2 license but only 5 nodes for half the price (95€)?!? Where do i get my other 5 node licenses from? Or is maxwell rendering faster when i upgrade from a v2 license compared to the upgrade from v3, so that i only need half the nodes?!? :roll:
By Gary
Can someone tell me how to navigate in the Portal to upgrade a license? If I go to the webshop from the portal, I can only buy a new licenses. I see no way to navigate from the portal to upgrade a license. Am I able to upgrade a v2 license so my v3 license can stay active?

I have sent sales an email but doubt I will hear back from them before the sale is over...

Thanks,

Gary
By Asmithey
I am pretty sure you still get to keep your v3 license. I want to be able to have v3 and v4 available to me. I will not be using v4 for production anytime soon. Only testing while waiting for more GPU features to come out. I will continue to use v3.
By Gary
Aaron,

I thought I read somewhere that when you upgrade a v3 license to v4 the v3 license is deactivated (unlike earlier upgrades).

My plan was to upgrade a older v2 license and keep the v3 active. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Gary
By Rafal SLEK
Gary wrote:Aaron,

I thought I read somewhere that when you upgrade a v3 license to v4 the v3 license is deactivated (unlike earlier upgrades).

My plan was to upgrade a older v2 license and keep the v3 active. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Gary
Yes, I've read something like this somewhere on this forum.
I am decided to buy upgrade but if V3 will be deactivated my plugin connection with c4d will be dead too...
May I kindly ask someone to confirm that V3 is still working after upgrade?
By T0M0
Why do you think that V3 will be somehow deactivated ?

Only option you are loosing is, that you can't generate new licenses for V3 after you proceed the upgrade to V4.

(and even this could be discussed with NL because V4 is not production ready, slower CPU version than in V3, unstable network rendering,...)

So keep your V3 license, upgrade to V4, merge licenses into one file (I have mine V3 & V4 in maxwell_suite_floating.lic).

Then you will be able to run Maxwell V3 and V4 on your current workstation, but of course not concurrently.
By Rafal SLEK
T0M0 wrote:Why do you think that V3 will be somehow deactivated ?

Only option you are loosing is, that you can't generate new licenses for V3 after you proceed the upgrade to V4.

(and even this could be discussed with NL because V4 is not production ready, slower CPU version than in V3, unstable network rendering,...)

So keep your V3 license, upgrade to V4, merge licenses into one file (I have mine V3 & V4 in maxwell_suite_floating.lic).

Then you will be able to run Maxwell V3 and V4 on your current workstation, but of course not concurrently.
Thanks for your answer, helps me a lot.
I am little suspicious :-) because:
— first answer from NL was " If you upgrade your V3 to V4 then you can't return to have aV3."
— I want to change my floating license to nodelocked
By chedda
This is confirmed from Maxwell on Facebook i read it a few times. When you upgrade you will lose v3 license because of the way licenses are now generated apparently.
By Asmithey
If this true it is complete crap. Can someone at Nextlimit elaborate on this since there seems to be some confusion? Sometimes I have projects that get resurrected. And for the sake of eliminating any version crossover problems I would want to continue those projects using v3.
By dk2079
Asmithey wrote:Sometimes I have projects that get resurrected.
yep, last year I re-rendered a project with 1.7

concerning the upgrade policy I recently read a similar discussion in another software forum, the argument was that if one upgrades a license eg. 3 times/versions, should the user still be able to run the 3 previous versions of the software concurrently on different machines (their licensing system did not prevent this yet).
I can understand that an upgrade is not a new license, so they want to remove the ability for installing on different machines, but still allow the usage of previous versions on the new license key.

I would like to see NL following a similar concept, so no matter if you float or nodelock an v4 upgrade, that license should serve as a v3 license too. But if you render on either version, you can't render on the other. So no concurrent v3/v4 rendering on the same license.
By Asmithey
I would like to see NL following a similar concept, so no matter if you float or nodelock an v4 upgrade, that license should serve as a v3 license too. But if you render on either version, you can't render on the other. So no concurrent v3/v4 rendering on the same license.

This option would be totally cool with me.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]