Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By archima
Hi

When Maxwell V4 will support multiple cards ?

Can you publish the list of suitable graphics card for maxwell V4 and compare performance /maxwell / ?

Do you more recomend Nvidia 1080 or Quadro : M 4000 , M5000 ...???

How old user /I , I would welcome the opportunity to get Maxwell on 3 platforms or discounts on 4platforms. :D
/I bought Maxwell because it supports more platforms than other engines, now I'm disappointed /

Peter
By luis.hijarrubia
archima wrote:Hi

When Maxwell V4 will support multiple cards ?

Can you publish the list of suitable graphics card for maxwell V4 and compare performance /maxwell / ?

Do you more recomend Nvidia 1080 or Quadro : M 4000 , M5000 ...???

How old user /I , I would welcome the opportunity to get Maxwell on 3 platforms or discounts on 4platforms. :D
/I bought Maxwell because it supports more platforms than other engines, now I'm disappointed /

Peter
With multiple cards i guest you mean multi-gpu rendering. That's on the way, and not very far. We are working on performance tables.
By luis.hijarrubia
Quadro are professional systems, it's more robust, it can be working 24/7 for a very long time. I think it's only worth it if you plan to have it rendering all the time, like a render farm. For smaller developments pascal gtx are very good performance / price cards.
By Polyxo
luis.hijarrubia wrote:Quadro are professional systems, it's more robust, it can be working 24/7 for a very long time.
I think it's only worth it if you plan to have it rendering all the time, like a render farm. For smaller developments
pascal gtx are very good performance / price cards.
Hmm,
Isn't Mw heavily dependant on CUDA? High-end Gaming Cards which cost hundreds of Euros, such as the 1070/1080
usually have far more CUDA cores than low /medium range Quadros which cost in the housands. As many
customers consider hardware upgrades right now, it sure was helpful to post some benchmarks.
By luis.hijarrubia
Yes, GTX have the most performance by price. For example GTX 1070 has 1900+ cuda cores. While M4000 has 1600+. 1080 is 2500+ and M5000 is 2000+, M6000 is 3000+.

Cuda cores are important, but also memory speed. As i said before, the Quadro price difference is because they are solid like a rock, they won't burn after 1 month rendering non stop. So I only would recommend that price difference for farms.

And yes, I would like to see some benchmarks too. We are already working on that.
By chedda
The bonus with the expensive high end quadro is the 24gb of vram. The gaming cards are often gimped so can only handle small scenes.
By feynman
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8 GB GDDR5 - 1960 cores - €430
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 8 GB GDDR5X - 2560 cores - €800
NVIDIA M4000 - 8 GB GDDR - 1664 cores - €900

So the first one is the better price/performance option, really - or is it? If one needs to put a new GPU in each render node...

But before pressing the button to go V4 - what material/quality features is one giving up with GPU rendering? And is the CPU rendering really slower than in V3?
By Mihai
Personally I'm looking to upgrade to a new computer and get one with 2x GTX 1070. I saw render benchmarks from Octane and the 1070 was about 15-20% slower than the 1080. But put two 1070 together and it's no contest. Plus there is the advantage of always choosing to use only one card if you need to use the computer at the same time, which is not really possible when rendering on a GPU and you have only that one to refresh your screen at the same time. Maxwell GPU needs to implement additive materials first of all though. Until that, almost no scene we have will look the same as the CPU render.
By feynman
Mihai wrote:But put two 1070 together and it's no contest. Plus there is the advantage of always choosing to use only one card if you need to use the computer at the same time, which is not really possible when rendering on a GPU and you have only that one to refresh your screen at the same time. Maxwell GPU needs to implement additive materials first of all though. Until that, almost no scene we have will look the same as the CPU render.
So, do I understand correctly that it makes sense to put two GPUs in each render node, because that node will then render the image using both GPUs in parallel? Can the scene then be 2x8GB in size? Or do you mean that two GPUs are only good for a PC that one wants to use for both rendering and working at the same time?

In any case, if V4 GPU rendered scenes are behind in quality compared to V3 CPU rendered scenes, it makes no sense to upgrade just that, right?
By Mihai
Maxwell can't use multiple GPUs yet, but it's on the roadmap. So either way it pays to have a workstation with at least 2 GPUs. Or get one of those external GPU boxes. And I think the way GPU rendering works is that the VRAM is not cumulative, the total VRAM used for a scene will be determined by the GPU in your system that has the least VRAM.

And it's not about quality really it's about material features not yet implemented in GPU. I'm not sure anymore which features aren't yet available but if you have a scene which doesn't use additive materials, or SSS, then there shouldn't be a difference - at least that's the idea. We haven't seen enough tests to be certain I think.
By feynman
Thanks. So each render node only needs one GPU (until some time in the future). Only the main workstation benefits from two GPUs (concurrent rendering and working).

From what I believe I have seen on these forums, V4 GPU renders look different to V4 CPU renders - and also different to V3 CPU renders. So that makes upgrading from V3 to V4 unwarranted for now, if true.
By Half Life
Listening to people I trust who use primarily GPU rendering (all day, every day) the advice is to use liquid cooling or the cards won't last long... so that might factor into your calculations. For GTX 1080 there are Zoltac and MSI cards that have a built in full waterblock -- this way your warranty isn't void like it would be if you install an aftermarket waterblock. There are also many which are hybrid system (waterblock on the processors, air cooling on the rest).
By archima
You are recomend Nvidia Gforce X,1080 ... but it is not recomended for working in REVIT ,3dstudio max...

Will quadro M4000 is good deal for both ?

Peter

PS:

what is better and faster :

maxvel 4 - GPU - quadro M4000 ?

or CPU V3/V4 2x Xeon X5650 with 24GB RAM ?
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]