Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By Andyb
Im afraid that this is not good enough from NL.

You advertised release as September, then put it back for week - thats fine, do what you need to do to make sure everything runs smoothly. However, not informing Mac users that we won't be getting Studio before hand is a shambles, and very unprofessional. We go to download page and its just Windows files and Linux - with NO word at all on progress or why its not there?

No release date, no comments, no word on your blog - nothing. Its a disgrace, then add to this that the GPU feature is basically not supported on Macs. Its not good enough. NL really dropped the ball in my eyes, and as an existing customer I have to say that Im appalled.

If you have plans not to release Mac Studio, you should of said so, and if you were having problems, you should of said so. Basic PR. Otherwise the silence is deafening.
By burnin
No this is so called Misleading Advertising by European Commission
Misleading Advertising

According to the Directive, misleading advertising is any advertising which, in any way, including in its presentation, is capable of:

deceiving the persons to whom it is addressed;
distorting their economic behaviour; or
as a consequence, harming the interests of competitors.

When determining whether advertising is misleading, several factors shall be taken into account. These are:

the characteristics of the goods or services concerned;
the price;
the conditions of delivery of the goods or provision of the services involved;
the nature, attributes and rights of the advertiser.
OSX users have AMD GPUs in their laptops and desktops. Maxwell Render, as other GPU-based renderers, needs Nvidia GPUs (CUDA cores). With AMD GPUs - and CPUs, for that matter - you are basically holding the short end of the stick in today's computing environment.
By Andyb
Regards to the whole GPU fiasco, I stand by my sentiment that NL have not done enough to make Mac users aware that the GPU feature (one of the main reasons to buy v4) will not / can not feature in the Mac version. Its not mentioned anywhere, not once!
feynman wrote:OSX users have AMD GPUs in their laptops and desktops. Maxwell Render, as other GPU-based renderers, needs Nvidia GPUs (CUDA cores). With AMD GPUs - and CPUs, for that matter - you are basically holding the short end of the stick in today's computing environment.
Except that OpenCL _CAN and HAS_ been used to implement renderers for GPU that work on both Nvidia and AMD. Nobody forced NextLimit to use CUDA, and by the time they started, OpenCL was no longer at a significant development disadvantage versus CUDA (those disappeared within the first few card gens using both the APIs, many years ago), so they had a compatible choice (OpenCL) but simply _CHOSE_ not to go that direction. Their choice, their accountability for that choice.
Andyb wrote:Regards to the whole GPU fiasco, I stand by my sentiment that NL have not done enough to make Mac users aware that the GPU feature (one of the main reasons to buy v4) will not / can not feature in the Mac version. Its not mentioned anywhere, not once!
Here's a better question: As many Mac V3 users will wind up paying 2x-5x (or more!) what we paid for V3 on upgrading to reach same capability with V4, perhaps someone from NextLimit could explain precisely what benefits Mac V4 customers are _receiving_ in return for that MASSIVE price increase over V3?

Clearly neither "GPU rendering", "improved V4 CPU performance" nor "improved V4 color accuracy" belong on that list. So what DOES justify that scale of price increase?
I'm in the same position as a mac user. I was eagerly awaiting the v4 launch too. The launch page shows multi light standalone (free) new textures gallery (free) and GPU rendering (not supported). So yeah you get the new version of studio which seems to only have cosmetic improvements and a new green icon that's it. Plus of course upgrading now means your v3 license is unusable plus you lose 10 plugins and 5 render nodes seems a bargain ;)

I'll wait and watch as i always intended too i might even skip this version entirely and see what v5 offers.
It seems completely fair that AMD users on windows, that do not pretend to buy a NVIDIA card soon, or MAC users don't want to upgrade right now. Just wait until latest version of V4 have something you need/want. GPU support to Linux and Mac is something we are working on. And in the future will be more features coming, not only to GPU engine, but to whole Maxwell.
luis.hijarrubia wrote:
chedda wrote:Thanks for the hope Luis. Did you really mean to say pretend ?
Wow, sorry, that's a false friend xd. I meant to say something like "have in mind".
Pretender is my favorite Spanish false friend (chedda, see here). I first learned about it one time when we were at Siggraph or something, and I heard Juan tell someone something like "we pretend to implement such and such..." :mrgreen:
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]