By bruno.sdi
Hi there,
If I have a geometry that is unwraped into different UV tiles, what is the best way to create a material in maxwell?
Normally I would use a composite map to plug in the different textures on the layer slots, offset the tile in UV space according to each texture coordinates and plug in the composite map into the colour/diffuse slot.
What I don't know is if maxwell will recognise the composite map from max. Probably not... Just wondering if anyone already tried this.
If not possible, any idea how can I use multitile textures with maxwell?

Thanks in advance.
By bruno.sdi
Hi,
The geometry I was talking about is the top of a concrete wall I sculped. I need it multitiled because one tile is not enought as I need textures with a good bit of detail. As I'm half the whay with the sculpting in zbrush I decided to try this multitile texture with maxwell. Since maxwell doesn't support the composite map from 3dsmax, I thought it could work if I had different ID's and assign diferent materials to those ID's, but it seems not :|
I'll try to explain the problem... So this is a printscreen from zbrush:
And this is the base mesh from 3dsMax where you can see where I cut the geometry and the poligon ID's.
and these are the material setups.
If I render with this setup I get this (wich is the second tile).

But if I render each ID on it's own (disabling the displacement on the other 2) it renders ok, but it's not respecting the offset shift on the U coordinate and renders on the first tile... :roll:
This is the last tile (ID3)
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1000x ... 77C7Ma.jpg

What am I doing wrong here?! Do you have any idea how can do this? Or it's just not possible?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers
By bruno.sdi
Hi there PCONCA,
First I set the values like you said which would be logical, but the map didn't show at all, so I thought maybe it has something to do with scale (although it shouldn't make sense) and at least I got the texture to show, not on its place but at least it was there :roll:
After a lot of testing I finally figured out that the UV coordinates are actually the opposite, which means using negative values :? I don't know if it's some kind of bug, but someone from nextlimit probably knows better. The truth is if I set those offsets to negative the map finally started offsetting correctly... You can see some of the tests bellow.
With the coordinates working got all exited, but not for long time... I tested each of the 3 displacement individually to check their positions and they were all fine! The problem came when I enabled the displacement to al the material ID's, the render came out just the ID2 and the other ID's were rendered as if they didn't have the displacement enabled.
Then I detached each ID to a separate objects and it finally worked, now the bad thing about this is that you get a gap between each object but at least I can render the image... And hopefully it's an easy fix on PS when I create the final disp maps with more quality,

Cheers,
And sorry for the long boring post
By Mihnea Balta
Hi,

Sorry for not answering earlier, I somehow missed this thread altogether. Max has a very "special" way of handling tiling and offset which is different from Maxwell (and pretty much all other programs, for that matter). The plug-in transforms the UVs and tiling factors to be consistent with what a standard Max material would do, but I think that code fails in this case. We'll look into it and see if we can fix the problem.
By bruno.sdi
Hi there Mihnea,
No problem, also I understand max might have a very 'special' (stupid) way for tilling, offsetting and many other things... Although still stuck to it, and in this particular case I really needed the multitile texture method. At the end it worked by separating the material ID's in 3 different objects and the joints were surprisingly almost unnoticeable.
Anyway it would be good to find out a proper workflow for this kind of issue.
Thanks a lot.
Cheers!
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]