By AlexP
Hi Jeremy,

Please check this, I can't make linked mxm to update as usual I do: via update command in options menu from material window. All files are read fine and are updated fine from mxm files but I can't save changes into mxm.

In command line there is such message:
Maxwell: Error => failed to write mxm file to 'D:\Lib\Materials\zaslony.mxm'. (caller=WriteMXM)

Best regs,
Alex
By JDHill
Not sure about that, it depends what is causing the issue (in other words, I don't yet know). That aside, I would be interested in learning more about how a workflow could depend heavily on this function, since typically, if a material is often changed, it should probably not be linked to an MXM.
By numerobis
I think we have the same problem in sketchup if you mean that it does not update when you edit the MXM by opening it from the explorer. If i use the edit MXM button in SU to call MXED everything works ok.
By AlexP
numerobis, it updates ok when editing using explorer-> material editor, I can't update from rhino internal material editor.
Jeremy: I'm doing lot's of tweaking and cleaning lately on test scenes and it's just easy way when I don't have to think what editor I have to use... But I don't mind at all to see only mxed button on linked materials without internal editor functionality.
By JDHill
numerobis wrote:I think we have the same problem in sketchup if you mean that it does not update when you edit the MXM by opening it from the explorer. If i use the edit MXM button in SU to call MXED everything works ok.
It is necessary to use the Edit MXM button in SU, because otherwise, the plugin is not aware that the MXM has been changed. The issue here is different; the Rhino plugin has an internal material editor that replicates MXED, which itself has an "update linked MXM" function, for pushing changes made internally, back out to the MXM. Due to some unrelated change, this has stopped working.
AlexP wrote:Jeremy: I'm doing lot's of tweaking and cleaning lately on test scenes and it's just easy way when I don't have to think what editor I have to use... But I don't mind at all to see only mxed button on linked materials without internal editor functionality.
Thanks, I understand now.
By numerobis
JDHill wrote: It is necessary to use the Edit MXM button in SU, because otherwise, the plugin is not aware that the MXM has been changed. The issue here is different; the Rhino plugin has an internal material editor that replicates MXED, which itself has an "update linked MXM" function, for pushing changes made internally, back out to the MXM. Due to some unrelated change, this has stopped working.
Ah, ok. But i think it worked in earlier versions (before v3). Editing the MXM now results in a black preview image.
And another thing i noticed for the v3 plugin is that when i open the maxwell material panel and i don't switch the SU material after this, the displayed maxwell material is not properly linked and it is possible that i'm editing a different material in the scene. But maybe i should post this in the SU plugin section...
By JDHill
No, it has never done that, it only does in Rhino because that's a Windows-only plugin, and it (monitoring arbitrary files in real time for changes) is relatively easy to do with the .NET Framework. As for the other comments, yes probably better to move discussion to the SU forum; please let me know there precisely which versions of applications you are using, since what you describe sounds as though it could possibly be due to using incompatible versions together. Here, just for example, I select Sophie_Shirt_Red (i.e. a material in the default SU2014 scene) in a new model, switch it to use MXM mode, click Edit MXM, enter a name for the MXM and hit OK, render a material preview, then save & close MXED, and this produces the expected result. I then click Edit MXM again, change the material in some way and re-render the preview, save & close MXED, and once again it works as expected. Please first confirm that this also works fine for you, and/or let me know of a set of steps where it fails.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]