By stir
Hi
i was wondering if there is possible to export mxs out of 3ds max with command line?

Right now we have a big project going and i need to export 2000 frames of animation to mxs.
The scenes are heavy so it takes 2-3 minuts pr frame and each mxs is around 2gig in size. will take 4-5 days on one computer to export em all....and god forbid, think if there is a problem and we need to re-export.

The problem is that we only have 2 workstation licenses but a bunch of node licenses. The plan was to open the max scene on multiple computers and export, but that doesn't work when we only have 2 working licenses.

So back to the question, is it possible to do this by command line so we only use the node license and not the workstation one?

like:

computer 1

open "filepath""scene".max
export MXS to "filepath""scene".mxs
range 0-100
sample 16

computer 2

open "filepath""scene".max
export MXS to "filepath""scene".mxs
range 101-200
sample 16

and so on.

-Mats
By raduc
Hi stir,

Yes this can be done via maxscript, the plugin exposes the maxwellExportMXS function for this purpose. Here's a list of arguments for the function:
  • camera (Node) - the node of the camera to be exported as active
  • output (string) - the path and name of the exproted mxs
  • selectedObjects (bool) - export selected objects only
  • animation (bool) - export entire animation
  • appendFrameNrToImg (bool) - append frame number to output image
  • packngo (bool) - also do packngo
The absolute minimum that has to be passed to the maxwellExportMXS function is the camera and output parameters
Code: Select all
-- basic example that exports every element in the selected frame in the current scene
maxwellExportMXS camera:$'Camera001' output:"C:\example_path\example.mxs"
-- example that uses all parameters to export the entire animation range of the selected object to mxs and also calls pack'n'go
maxwellExportMXS camera:$'Camera001' output:"C:\example_path\example.mxs" selectedObjects:true animation:true appendFrameNrToImg:true packngo:true
You will then have to put the export script in a .ms file and pass that to 3dsmaxcmd as the starting script:
Code: Select all
3dsmaxcmd.exe -script "C:\example_path\export.ms" example.max
By stir
Still need to wrap my head around how to do this.
But it looks really promising.

If it works like I think it does, it will be a great time saver.

Thanks so much for sharing!

-Mats
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]