By kami
Hello
We are trying to figure out how the 'Use override' tick is working? Even the paragraph in the documentation does not explain it enough. What is the intention for this button and what does it do?
Thanks, Christoph
By JDHill
This is the plugin's implementation of what you see in MXED's Global Properties node as the "Override Map," and in its texture editor as the "Use Override Map" checkbox. Rather than do as MXED does, and blank-out the projection properties in the texture editor, when you enable the override map, what the plugin does is switch the editor to be editing that map directly, so you don't need to go out into the material's top-level node and select it, as you do in MXED.

So, take two textures, the refl0 & refl90 in a BSDF. If you enable "Use Override" in both of them, you will find that they are now sharing the same projection values -- change the Rotation value in one, and you'll find it has also changed in the other.

Does that help explain it better? The concept is a bit abstract, but powerful, and I'm sure the docs could do better at explaining it.
By kami
Yes, that tells me a bit more. Thanks. I was a bit confused to see it working differently than in the MXED.
Why do you think this is a powerful feature? At the moment I'm not so sure if I need it and in which situations to use it.
By JDHill
You may have a material that uses a matched set of refl0, refl90, bump, and roughness maps, along with some other unrelated textures. If all the textures in the matched set use the override, you can adjust their projection in unison, without also affecting your other textures. It may be true that your particular materials don't benefit from this, but some people's do.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]