By palitoloco
Sorry to bother again but... Is there a step by step tutorial in how to implement this new feature in rhino? I am very confused, I couldn't find anything.

It will be nice to have a link or video or whatever it is that shows all the new features in maxwell v3 getting implemented in rhino interface. The maxwell documentation for rhino that comes for the plug in in v3, is very incomplete, as it does not show or illustrates the implementation of the new features.

thanks!
By JDHill
The PDF manual included with the plugin is not generally as comprehensive as the online plugin help, and will be removed at a later date. To create a volumetric, please try this: first, open Object Properties > Maxwell:
In the Extensions panel, right-click > New Volumetric Extension, and then double-click the new volumetric to show the Extensions Editor:
Alternately, you could create the extension in the Scene Manager > Extensions tab, and assign it to geometry using right-click > Assign to Selected. Extensions (currently Maxwell Grass, Maxwell Sea, and Maxwell Volumetric) work much like materials do: you can assign one extension to multiple pieces of geometry. Object Properties > Maxwell shows which extensions are assigned to a given piece of geometry.
By palitoloco
Thanks!

I guess my question was more geared in how to use it in a real application. For instances, I do a lot of architectural design for interiors and exteriors. And I saw the nice picture of that looking library in the volumetrics new feature under maxwell v3. How would I do that?

For an interior rendering, do I have to create a box around my building and apply the extension, or do I apply the extension to the light fixture, or the walls? I am not sure.

For exterior renderings, If I want to creat a fog scene, do I apply the extension to where, to a plane or box, I am just confused how it works to create that kool effect of those images in v3 volumetrics section maxwell.

I hope it makes sense.
By JDHill
As described here:
  • "Also similar to Maxwell Sea, it is the host object's bounding box which will define the volume."
By "volume" we are referring to a region of space in which there is found participating media, with which light rays will interact. So, to enclose a room, or a scene, you would create some geometry in Rhino which encloses the desired space, and apply a Maxwell Volumetric Extension, as described above. The volume will be defined according to the bounding box of the geometry, and its material will be the material assigned to that geometry.
By palitoloco
I think I get it, sounds very deep. I am just trying it to understand it in layman terms, I will give it a try.

In architectural terms:
A volume within a volume in a defined space by a particular function or expression of quality of space" ;p

thanks
By JDHill
Here is a simple example; I start with a scene:
Next, I draw a cube, with a simple one-layer blue material applied:
Let's make the material's layer only 50% opaque:
Next, I apply a volumetric extension to the cube:
This is what I mean when I say the volumetric creates a region of participating media, according to the bounding box of the geometry (the cube) to which it is applied. Please let me know if this helps. Of course, you will not likely want to use a material like this blue one, I just did that to make it clear what was happening. To learn about the volumetric parameters (there are different types: Constant, Noise 3D, Particle-based), I would direct you to read the general documentation, which you can find here, since that is not plugin-specific.
By palitoloco
JD

As always you are the best, thanks for helping me out. I know the manual is good to read, but designers like us, we are visual, we like to see diagrams, process and how things are put together, text makes us dizzy... Thanks again!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]